• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Stud.

bschomske

Reaction score
My exhaust manifold leaks and sounds like...Well you get the picture..I tryed puting in new gaskets and that did not fix it..So I will try again, but this time I bought a stud kit for my car,using bolts right now..My qusetion is do I use a gasket or not,I read that people say no gasket...Plus will I be able to put the new stud kit in without removing the manifolds. Because it sucks driving a runner that does not sound like a runner..I hope the coyote is not around. Bruce

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
They came from the factory without gaskets. That being said they have to be pretty dang straight to go with out gaskets and the gaskets will blow out at some point. I used a very thin layer of hight temp RTV and no gasket but I did have my manifolds milled a touch.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
when I was running HP manifolds on my last car I didn't use gaskets.

quikbird

Reaction score
Never had regular manifolds, always had headers, but remember to use sealant on the studs. Some go into the water jacket.

stevo

Reaction score
going through the same put, put, put sound right now.
this is what I have found out....basically the factory exhaust studs (at least on my motor home 440) are pipe thred and go into water jackets.
When I got the headers some of the factory studs where really warn and I replaced all of them with header bolts. risky move on my part.
One side held water the other side had 2 water leaks.
Long story short the header bolts where not as fat as the studs, on the passenger side I changed back to all studs I even had to get one stud custom made (larger) at the machine shop at work.
Before i put the studs in I cleaned the hole with acetone and put hi heat RTV on the stud careful not to put RTV on the tip that goes into the head.
I am running headers and I used 2 fel pro gaskets, before I put the gaskets on I used RTV on the head and the gaskets and the headers.
no lots but a nice coat.
The passenger side is just fine....
My driver side all header bolts, held water but developed a exhaust leak with the 2 middle ports.
I am now using 2 studs (in the middle) and the remaining has header bolts all with RTV and 2 fel pro gaskets.
Its all holding water but I have not fired the motor yet, this week.
So, I guess i'd suggest with stock manifolds use studs and a gasket with RTV.
good luck!

moparchris

Reaction score
Have your machine shop mill them perfectly flat then coat the surface with anti sieze and use the original studs and bolts. Done it many times.

bschomske

Reaction score
Update on the gasket no gasket deal on manifold.I went with no gasket after stud install.Did not work..looks like the gasket is the way to go...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Update on the gasket no gasket deal on manifold.I went with no gasket after stud install.Did not work..looks like the gasket is the way to go...

I bet you didn't machine the manifolds or it would have worked. Ive done it many times so WHEN the gaskets blow out pull them out and have them milled flat.

moparchris

Reaction score
I bet you didn't machine the manifolds or it would have worked. Ive done it many times so WHEN the gaskets blow out pull them out and have them milled flat.

Definitely.

I did have one that was cracked and it always leaked no matter what I did. Also, a side note someone mentioned that the threads in the head itself is a pipe thread. That is totally incorrect. The head is a 3/8 coarse thread. The nut is a 3/8 fine thread.

Coyote

Reaction score
I've always used gaskets (headers). I've had problems with dead soft copper. Decent luck with aluminum. Good Luck!

bschomske

Reaction score
O.k. here we go ..had the gaskets installed on exhaust manifolds today 7/27/16..She sounds just fine..Sounds like the mopar muscle it should sound like,nothing like "mopar or no car"... Runners rule...................................................Beep beep..

bschomske

Reaction score
Hey Goon, love the color of your car.I hope you have black guts to go with it.I mean the car.Well I looked at the attachment.Found out I have a crack in passengers side exhaust manifold..Welder up!!!!! Anyone interested in buying another runner.I think it time to let her go!After said repairs....

Goon

Reaction score
Yes black guts. don't have the door panels installed yet, have new set waiting to install. KEEP THE CAR, You'll miss her. All the looks you get while driving her.

Goon

Reaction score
don't even have a clue. Either sell now or wait til spring. Probably get more in spring when people have the itch.

Back