• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust systems or Mufflers

fugges

Reaction score
Hello,

I want new mufflers or exhaust system on my Runner.
The old once are to brave and quiet, I actually want a nice sound and loud(er).
I thought about Dynomax Ultra Flow and VT, Borla XL Turbo or a glaspac (from Cherry Bomb) mufflers. For sure no Flowmasters!
What kind of mufflers or exhaust systems do you have on your Runners.
My be you can give a good tip or better a soundcheck?

Thanks

mcmopar

Reaction score
TTI headers with 3" dia. TTI exhaust system and 3" Magnaflow stainless steel mufflers. Sounds mighty good! :thumbsup:

V269

Reaction score
Doug Thorley headers , Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers and 2 1/2" mandrel bent pipe all the way back to the tips. :thumbsup:

fugges

Reaction score
Ok, about the TTI headers.
Do they fit without any extra work? Do you need a mini starter, or will it works with the orginal starter?
Somebody got Borla muffler?

mcmopar

Reaction score
fugges said:
Ok, about the TTI headers.
Do they fit without any extra work? Do you need a mini starter, or will it works with the orginal starter?
Somebody got Borla muffler?

TTI headers - I had no fitment problems with mine but it is a 4-speed. If you have an automatic you may need to modify your shift linkage. Check out TTI's website for all the details.
I run a mini-starter - I believe they recommend one. Once again - check their website.

moparperf

Reaction score
Mine bolted right on, pipes at rear bumper need to cut to put tips on. They leave them long in case you do not use tips.

mcmopar

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
if you run a blow proof bell housing you may have to grind it alittle for clearance
Running TTI headers - yes you will. I have pics of a pattern that makes the 1-7/8" TTI's fit with a Lakewood safety bellhousing. Made it myself after some long arduous hours with the grinder. Fits perfect now.

fugges

Reaction score
Hello,
now I just changed the muffler (no TTI, no headers. The rest is still org.).
Here the sound with the org. muffler:
http://www.myvideo.de/rdir?id=283582926 ... ch/8733031
and here the sound with the new Dynomax Ultra Flo SS muffler:
http://www.myvideo.de/rdir?id=283583144 ... ch/8733052
The Dynomax muffler are a lot louder, because the lengh is now 14" againsed 20" of the standard muffler. The sound is ok now, but I want to check the sound of the Borla XL muffler, too. Somebody got the Borlas on his Runner (or a other comparable car) and can make a video of the sound?
Regards from Germany
Armin

dobie

Reaction score
I have Hooker Competition headers with Flowmaster Super 40 mufflers, 2.5" all the way back. I know a lot of guys say to stay away from the Flowmasters, but they were what was recommended to me about 4 years ago when I put them on. I dont mind them, but then again I dont have anything to compare them to.

Just watched your videos. The Dynomax's sound good! I like it!

:cheers:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dobie said:
I know a lot of guys say to stay away from the Flowmasters
I have them on a couple of my cars - including the wife's Swinger - and like them. They're just a little loud. But who cares? It's not like I drive them every day...
dobie said:
The Dynomax's sound good! I like it! :cheers:
:yeathat:
My RR has stock mufflers on it, so it is easily the quietest car that I own. Sounds a lot like the first video...but with more camshaft...

moparchris

Reaction score
I swear by Flowmasters. I love the sound and would gladly give up some HP for the sound. I actually did back to back dyno testing on my small block Dart and found that the Dynomax Ultra Flo was louder but made identical HP on a 400 hp motor with 2.5 exhaust.

w8kbrder

Reaction score
I can give my 2 cents..however its on my '69 Charger 383. I have TTI ceramic coated headers (not cheap...close to $1000 after shipping) mated up to a 2.5" exhaust, x-pipe, and Flowmaster 40s. I had the dynamax mufflers and they were just too quiet and reserved for me. But I'm 33 so I guess I'm not old enough yet for reserved exhaust tones. :) Whats a muscle car without an aggressive sound? Either way the mufflers cause a slight bit of drone at idle, but driving down the road or around town or on the highway....no drone. I get a heck of a lot of compliments on how it sounds though. My neighbor is 70...he thinks it sounds perfect.

Once I get my Roadrunner...same system is going in.

One more thing, the TTI headers fit great, however I still had to go with a mini-starter and had to cut/re-weld the hinge for the kickdown linkage...

droptop

Reaction score
I prefer the stock sound myself, but to each their own. First time I ever saw a Head and Shoulders comercial in German. :lol:

Back