• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory original Chrysler ammeter-based Charging System and additional loading. Load placement matters!

Reaction score
For those that are interested in a fact-based video presentation on this subject, specific to the original Chrysler factory charging system design and touching a bit on ammeters/melted bulkhead connectors, I submit this video, forgive the amateur production quality. Feel free to critique the info presented but stay on subject of the as original Chrysler charging systems from this time period please.

Disclaimer, this information does not apply to any modified, ammeter by-passed, volt-meter converted, engine compartment main charge circuit by-passed Chrysler charging system, or every other charging system configuration on the planet not running a battery ammeter. Load placement does not matter for most other systems.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I guess you know this subject has been a point of contention on a sister forum.
Nuff said there.
I skipped through the video to get the gist of it.
One thing I've done when working on the wiring is make parallel Packard connections at the firewall for the charging current, if there are open holes.
There unusually are
To make a redundant connection with no obvious visual change.
Just so I don't have to find (make) an extra hole in the firewall.

Reaction score
Oh yea, I’ve participated in numerous discussions over the years on various forums relating to ammeters and other original charging system issues and remedies. The load placement, or misplacement, impact on the factory original charging system seams to be the most mis-understood. Frankly the video is a response to some recent threads on FBBO, where there some who believe there is no difference between the original Chrysler ammeter-based charging system and any other charging system as it relates to load placement.

A31PKG

Reaction score
Very nicely done!

A good addition to this discussion would be the significance/benefits of "switch to ground" vs. "load to ground" circuits as they apply to properly placed loads.

Back