• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan spacer finish?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
What is the correct finish on the fan spacer (383/Auto/22" Radiator)? Im assuming it should be unfinished/natural?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
What is the correct finish on the fan spacer (383/Auto/22" Radiator)? Im assuming it should be unfinished/natural?
I maybe wrong but I think they all had a fan clutch not a spacer. Hopefully someone will chime in and save me if so :popcorn:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
a6t9vette said:
I maybe wrong but I think they all had a fan clutch not a spacer. Hopefully someone will chime in and save me if so :popcorn:
My fan dosen't have a clutch. It is a solid mount that the fan bolts to, which of course mounts to the water pump. In my case it is all black. The fan clutches I have seen are unfinished.

zupanj

Reaction score
Actually I have been thinking about this for my hemi installation. I have my 383 fan that seems to be one piece with the spacer molded to the fan and it's painted black. I also bought a hemi fan about a year ago on ebay. This fan has no spacer and a small hole in the middle. The hemi fan is quite a bit larger than the 383 fan so I may need it before I'm done. I intend to use the 383 fan and see if it works with the hemi. I bought a 22" triple pass radiator from US Radiator and I think it will provide plenty of cooling capacity. If this doesn't work I figured I would try the shroud with this fan next as I prefer keeping a somewhat stock look. Then is that doesn't work using the larger fan. I guess I will need to get a new fan clutch for the larger fan but I am pretty sure the shroud won't work with the larger fan.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
a6t9vette said:
I'm almost 100% sure it's black.

Mine had a four blade, clutchless fan with the spacer painted black. Once you get a fan clutch, you lose the spacer.

toms69rr

Reaction score
Mine has a spacer. Puts the fan about 1/2 inch back from the radiator.
I will look for my restoration guide, but I painted mine black. Didn’t care if it was correct or not. It looked good

a6t9vette

Reaction score
I have what is listed as the original p/n for a 69/383/auto #1825932, and its also dated '69. Its currenty painted silver (obviously new) but from picking off a small flake of paint it looks to be a unfinished aluminum piece. Looks like I will be taking some reference pictures at Carlsile this weekend.....

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
all the ones I've had were unfinished aluminum.

Back