• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

few pics from Cali for nia

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
B-25, same type Jimmy Doolittle flew off the USS Hornet to bomp Tokyo after Pearl Harbor
this is a 1/3 scale prototype of a flying wing, developed during WWll. They also had a jet version. These were forgotten when jets hit the scene, and the technology was revisited a few years back and became the Stelth Planes. This Wing was restored to flight.
P-59, this was our fisrst production jet during WWll. Not any better thasn our prop planes. The Germans already hada jet in service, which was over 100 mph faster than our best planes of the war. If it wasn't for Hitler's insisting it be used as a bomber, alot of us either wouldn't be here, or would be speaking German
F7F Tigercar, twin engined Navy fighter
Replicia of a Fokker Triplane that The Red Baron flew in WWl

PTDC0043.jpg

PTDC0044.jpg

PTDC0045.jpg

PTDC0050.jpg

PTDC0065.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jap rocker plane, copy of the German plane below
German Me-163 Rocket plane. it would do well over 600mph (P-51s could do 450mph), but onlt had ful for 3 minutes of powered flight. this one os a wooden replica
Jaanese torpedo plane. Only survivor of this type
German Me-109 fighter. this plane saw combabt in The Battle of France, The Battle of Britian, and was latter shot down over Norway. It landed on a frozen lake, and in the spring thaw it sank to the bottom, and was under water until 2004. It is in remarkable shape since it was in fresh water.

PTDC0077.jpg

PTDC0052.jpg

PTDC0054.jpg

PTDC0071.jpg

PTDC0075.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
a Jap Betty bomber, recovered from the South Pacific, set up like it was found
Jap Jack fighter, would give our best fighters a run, but too few and too late in the war
Sherman tank
P-38 Lightning, one of their most flow aircraft.
They have a hanger with Korean War vintage US and Russian jets, along with an equal numer of Korean and Vietnam jets outside unrestored.

PTDC0085.jpg

PTDC0086.jpg

PTDC0094.jpg

PTDC0098.jpg

PTDC0105.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
While you were out there did you try and star in any movies or get a TV contract?:acme:

well I did talk to some guy, think his name was Ron Jeramey about being his stunt double........

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Dave did you happen to notice if the tank was named Tinkerbell? A guy I know had one that was purchased for a movie a few years back.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no I didn't see any name on it Bob. coulda been repainted.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
glad you like them Steve, many will be headed your ay with fresh Agent Green....:acme:

69383RR

Reaction score
welcome to Californis...on the way down to Hollywood
Clint Eastwood has HUGH hands
Stallion not so much
and a few others

yah but Stallone has the hugh Feet ! :groucho:

love the plains especially the navy fighters

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, my shoes are 10 1/2 and they fit over Stallone's

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my Cali for nia brother in law wears 15s......

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Doubt I know as much about WW2 as you do Dave but it's always been a a topic I really enjoy. Back when I did residential service I would occasionally run into a vet and I couldn't help but talk their ears off probably to the point of annoyance. Sadly there are fewer and fewer chances for that these days. Thanks for the pics. Love that P-51.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Take a trip up to Dayton to the Air Force Museum. Plan the weekend, three buildings and they are working on a fourth.Plnes from Pre WWl to present, plus all the Presidents aircraft( can't see those currently thanks to Big Os cutbacks) Dad and I met General Adolf Galland, Royal Frey.

Collin

Reaction score
My Uncle flew the B-17 and B-24 for years for the Collings foundation. Best trips ever as a kid was to sit in the cockpit of those bombers and get the VIP treatment. He is now restoring a Vaught-Chance F4U Corsair...lots of reverse engineering going on there! He has a test stand with a running engine, its badass

4spd69RR

Reaction score
That is cool, I used to work with Apache helicopters out of Ft Bragg. Assigned with the 82 Air Born, WHOA! Loved working on and with those birds. I can't even imagine the chance to work on of the WWII classics. Would be a lot of fun thou.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
My Uncle flew the B-17 and B-24 for years for the Collings foundation. Best trips ever as a kid was to sit in the cockpit of those bombers and get the VIP treatment. He is now restoring a Vaught-Chance F4U Corsair...lots of reverse engineering going on there! He has a test stand with a running engine, its badass

Lucky man! I've been thru the Nine O Nine after she crashed at Beaver County. The B-24 flew (very low!) over my house a few years ago. And I expect many pics of the Corsair!!(Please) Is the Corsair his?

Back