• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

firearms advice

mac

What ?
Reaction score
well when the bowling season ends and i get my prize money i am thinking about buying my first rifle. anybody have any advice on what i should be looking at. i was thinking a 10-22 with some kinda of scope.

69B5

Reaction score
Hi Mac
A 10-22 is a fine chose for a first rifle for plinking, target shooting and small game
It's accurate and you can customize it in many different ways
You will have alot of fun with it
69B5

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
For plinking that's a good choice also cheap to shoot. Not to mention there's a lot of accessories available for it.
Personally I've had my eye on either a Ruger mini-14 (.223) or mini-30 (7.62mm). :drool:
I guess it really comes down to what you want to do with the gun. :yesnod:

dobie

Reaction score
Hey Mac, what's your intended purpose? 10-22's are great little rifles. I have one and have shot tons of rounds thru it over the years. The rifle and ammo is cheap and the platform is highly customizable.

That said, if you've ever thought about the AR platform, id recommend getting one while prices are down. Plus, with a CMMG drop in kit, you can shoot 22's all day long. Accuracy will be down a tad due to the twist rate, but its still cheap and fun. AK's are fun too. I have a cheap WASR-10, but its a blast to shoot.

Back on dedicated 22's, I also have a Henry lever 22, along with their 22 mag lever rifle. Both are dead nuts reliable and accurate. Plus, levers are just plain fun.

Oh, and remember pics are mandatory of your purchase!!
:cheers:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
dobie said:
Hey Mac, what's your intended purpose? 10-22's are great little rifles. I have one and have shot tons of rounds thru it over the years. The rifle and ammo is cheap and the platform is highly customizable.

i am looking for an entry level rifle. never having owned one before ( have shot before), i want to get my feet wet and get something simple enough and cost effective enough. i know it isn't the cheapest but i am lloking at a ruger, but a savage is cheaper. is there a world of difference in the 2?

eventually i would also like to get a remington 870. i want to get the 22 first because the rounds are less expensive. iam not into hunting this is just to have something around incase i think i need it. :chuck:

dobie

Reaction score
I have no experience with Savage's, so I can't comment on them. The Ruger's are nice and I doubt you'd be disappointed with one.

sam z

Reaction score
I've been around guns my entire life. Go old corps, get an old bolt action 22. Cheap to buy,
cheap to shoot.

Back