• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First Car Rebirth

moparmonk

Reaction score
Good Morning All!
I guess I will start this thread called the "Rebirth". This was my first car, 69 Satellite 2-door, that I got in 82 when my uncle gave it to my brother and me when he retired. It got the usual patch job as I was in high school but did manage to put some magnum 500's on it to make it look somewhat cool. It's an all stock 318 auto F-3 green with dark green vinal roof. I put road runner dual's and tips on it and tried to keep it basically reliable. It had 78k on it when I got it, and when it got back-shelfed in 1990 had 157k on it. It still ran awesome but cleared the mosquito's when it was started due to poor valve seals. I worked on it a lot in the early 90's replacing all the underneath rear parts with used stuff and a first vintage trunk floor and extensions. (this was my learn to weld project) I also put on an outer wheelhouse and quarter skin on the drivers side and also a full length floor pan. On August 4, 1994 my daughter was born and it basically as set idle since then with 2 kids, bills, boy scouts and a ton of snowmobiling. A divorce and re-marry and a refinance were not planned but in the travels as well. I owe it to my new wife (and myself) to finish this car. My daughter is now a junior in college and son a junior in high school. It is time! Last July, I took the motor out to put in my sons 69 Charger (yeah, trying to get him interested too). this spring I spent 3/4 of a day cutting out and fitting the passenger floor board. In July I cut out and installed the left front inner fender. CarID, online just over 100 bucks. I compared it to an AMD one and while admittingly the AMD one was better detailed, for a Satty, it should be fine. (and half the cost). Next up is the right front inner fender and a conversion piece for the 22 to 26 inch radiator. (each another 100+) After that I am going to tackle the right rocker panel. (New AMD part) I installed a used one on the drivers side, way back!
Here is a shot of the first piece I have installed in twenty years. I am getting pumped. Don't be afraid to throw in your professional opinions! Thanks All!

Rebirth #1.jpg

earlyrides

Reaction score
Looks like a great start!
The road ahead will be long and for right now it looks as though you will be walking (unless the boy lets you drive the charger)
Please take a bunch of pics along the way of the adventure.
Many here have gone through where you are headed and we feel you pain pleasure and excitement.
Be sure to spend time with the wifey too so she doesnt get jealous of the Satty.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Oh if I would have kept the cars from my past, 20-20 hind sight. Will be watching your progress.

quikbird

Reaction score
looks like a really good start. check the framerail down in the corner. likes to start some rust there. I'm about 6mo ahead of you. my pics are in general discussion front inner fender thread. can definitely tell you I grew to absolutely hate spot welds on this project.

moparmonk

Reaction score
Rebirth #2 Got another 4 hours on Sunday! (The wife's Birthday no less) I removed the rusted right inner fender and also the front right radiator support bracket. The original was a 22 incher and I am now going with the 26 inch version. I have not started welding but did get it rough fit! Just FYI, I purchased them from CarID.com and they are Goodmark instead of AMD. I paid about 110 bucks a side. A friend is doing a Charger at the same time and I tried the AMD one he purchased in there too and it doesn't fit any better. They both need a hint of trimming. I built a jig out of rebar to hold the front core support in the same spot so it wouldn't move while I had it completely apart. It appears to be working pretty good. Let's hope so when I bolt the fenders on!

photo 1.jpg

photo 2.jpg

photo 3.jpg

drivers side 091414.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah looking good. a little tweaking is better than having to fix a crusty part.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Man, I admire your fortitude! Its looking good! What powerplant you gonna put in the Satty?

moparmonk

Reaction score
Hello mcmopar,
Originally a 318/904 2.76 geared 1 legger! I do have a 383 4 speed but if money holds up it will be a 451 aluminum head lo-deck block painted all factory orange. I want it to look stock but since it started life as a Satty, if it aint just for show, I'll make it go! 3.55 sure grip is on the horizon, too! I really want to run factory exhaust manifolds but a bit concerned on flow restriction especially if I upgrade to a stroker. Whatever the case, that is 3-4 paychecks away! LOL

Back