• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First drive in 2years.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Well now we've got the timing sorted out I decieded to get the bird inspected today.First stopped at DMV,for those of you that are not residents of the empire state let me tell New York DMV is the poster child for red tape.I thought I'd get a ten day so I could drive to the shop at get an inspection,first of all she tells me that I would have to be putting the car on the road,and since its already registered and insured she cannot give me the ten day,now the reg. runs out at the end of the month so I asked if I did the renewal if I could have a ten day,again a negative,I pointed out that last summer I came in and got a ten day for my 36 Hudson that was already on the road and had no problems,she said she would talk to her supervisor,she came back and said she could give me a ten day if I had the car in commercial storage,I told it was in storage in my garage,she said again she couldn't give me one,I asked how i was suppose to get the car to a facility to inspect since I couldn't legally drive it,she suggested I trailer it.So I broke New York law and drove it with an expired sticker,lucky I passed no police.It was great a beautiful day still to cold to drop the top but I had a blast,you forget how fun these cars are to drive,brings your inner 16 yr. old out. I once heard someone say nothing sounds like a big block Chrysler listening to the exhaust as I shifted threw the gears I have to agree.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Good for you! Dosen't it feel good when you get a car back on the road again! So how did the inspection go?

jays69bird

Reaction score
She passed,in New York for a car this old its just safety,lights,park brake etc.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Ahh... the NYS DMV... I've spent so many joyful hours sitting on their wooden benches waiting with baited breath for my number to be called.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nothing like getting the car out after a long time. It amazes me just how.......stupid the government can be at times.
In Ohio, when you buy a car from out of state, you have to get it inspected before you can title it. All this involves is taking it to a new car dealer or the title office, and someone checks the vin with the vin on the title. The first time I had to do this(16 yrs old, Dad just called the local police and explained what was gong on. They said no problem,just go straight to the dealership,then back home. But some of the morons at the DMV just boggles the mind.
Love to see some pics of your car Jaybird.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
nothing like getting the car out after a long time. It amazes me just how.......stupid the government can be at times.
In Ohio, when you buy a car from out of state, you have to get it inspected before you can title it. All this involves is taking it to a new car dealer or the title office, and someone checks the vin with the vin on the title. The first time I had to do this(16 yrs old, Dad just called the local police and explained what was gong on. They said no problem,just go straight to the dealership,then back home. But some of the morons at the DMV just boggles the mind.
Ct dosen't require inspections anymore. If you buy a car from in state and it had been registered before you buy it, then all you have to do sit and wait like Big John mentioned for your turn to fork over the money. My Barracuda was like that, had no problems. But if you buy it from out of state, then you have to go sit and get temp plates, or trailer it down there, so you can take it in for the VIN check. Then you get to go sit again to get the regular plates. Loads of fun!

mac

What ?
Reaction score
try to follow along with this one for my current road runner. first i bought the car in canada, from a person who got it at an estate sale. so i exchange currency for canadian dollars. get to the border, which i thought was going to be a huge hassle. no problems there!!! now i go to register the car. i have a receipt for a car from a person who never registered it and the title has a stamp from some law firm that was managing the estate. you had to have been there to see the major confusion on the clerks face. she basically dismissed me to try again when she wasn't there. luckily, my wife has a friend on her side of the family working the dmv at a different office. made the arrangements to meet at a certain time and took care of me. whew!!! :worship:

jays69bird

Reaction score
mac said:
try to follow along with this one for my current road runner. first i bought the car in canada, from a person who got it at an estate sale. so i exchange currency for canadian dollars. get to the border, which i thought was going to be a huge hassle. no problems there!!! now i go to register the car. i have a receipt for a car from a person who never registered it and the title has a stamp from some law firm that was managing the estate. you had to have been there to see the major confusion on the clerks face. she basically dismissed me to try again when she wasn't there. luckily, my wife has a friend on her side of the family working the dmv at a different office. made the arrangements to meet at a certain time and took care of me. whew!!! :worship:
I bought a vintage snowmobile out of state,from Indiana which has no snowmobile reg.I brought a signed and noterized bill of sale,DMV said I had to have a copy of the old reg.after explaing 3 times that Indiana has no snowmobile registration,the clerk switched gears and said I had to have the seller fill out an Avidavit of sale,I explained said seller was in Indiana,they told me there was nothing else they could do.I have the guys address but for something that mainly goes on vintage trail rides and my backyard it isn't worth the hassel.

jays69bird

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I don't have a digital camera and my daughters broke(the avatar pic.was taken with my cell phone)When I get a camera I'll post a few better pictures.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Yes, the first drive in a long time really recharges you about the hobby. Frustrations with fixing things or having time to fool with it suddenly disappear.

Verts are awesome, I should have never sold mine.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Yes, the first drive in a long time really recharges you about the hobby. Frustrations with fixing things or having time to fool with it suddenly disappear.

I think you're speaking for all of us with that first paragraph. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you're speaking for me too with your second... :brickwall:

:jester:
Ray

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
SomeCarGuy said:

I think you're speaking for all of us with that first paragraph. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately you're speaking for me too with your second... :brickwall:

:jester:
Ray
best thing i ever did was buy my 70 vert :banana: :banana: :banana:

Back