• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

First running of the motor.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Well got the motor running and it sound's good for the first time. Replaced every thing on the electrical side but used the old Coil. Figured it worked before and could use it to fire the new motor up. It worked ok but the motor acted funny. So got it to idle after a while and asked the wife to come and listen. It had quit running. Tried to crank it again but would not fire. So did the old coil wire to metal and weak spark. So got a new coil and put it on the next day. It ran so much better and sound's like it ought too. Feel's good to here the car running after 5 year's on an all out build on the car. Will try and post pic's of it running. Russ. Oh may be a while just had eye surgery to replace my lens in right eye. So can't do any thing for a few day's. Per doctor's order. Want it to heal right.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Great Russ. It is so cool to hear the engine run after such a long time isn't it? I'm still tuning and tweaking on mine. Take care of that eye.

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Great to hear Russ ! Anxious to see the video when you get it, take of that eye !

RonLiv

Reaction score
Getting closer, well done on the Engine. Take care of those eyes.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Great Russ I'm sure you are feeling good hearing it run for the first time. Enjoy

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
Glad I had my buddy helping me with mine. The timing was close but still had some fire blasting out of the carb. The squirters on the primary side were clogged so it wouldn't run up RPM very fast. I left the radiator cap lose so not long after it started to warm up we had a geyser in the garage. Valve cover oil leaks made some nice smoke. My wife was making a video of the events and the fire from the carb freaked her out. I had to get her to keep it rolling. She was heading back in the house. It is like a comedy skit. It's running good now.

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
OK. This is the best I can do with the fire up video. It's on YouTube. I got up to the point where it backfired and the wife was done filming and headed to the house. The fire freaked her out. She did come back but the rest it just running the 20 minutes to break in the cam. Tell me what you think. Here is the link.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
OK. This is the best I can do with the fire up video. It's on YouTube. I got up to the point where it backfired and the wife was done filming and headed to the house. The fire freaked her out. She did come back but the rest it just running the 20 minutes to break in the cam. Tell me what you think. Here is the link.

Sound's grate Terry. I like to have choked on all the smoke from the header paint and exhaust paint. But once cleared off it was good. Mine back fired through the carb also. Out of time Too far advanced the heater hose is in the way to go much further so have to move the timing at the cam oil pump drive gear. But it is close enough it fires right up now and idles fine.

Back