• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flat Black Hood Stripes

amike95

Reaction score
Hey guys, what do you guys use to make them look nice? I found out the hard way you can't use wax. :brickwall: Thanks,

mcmopar

Reaction score
I use a foaming vinyl dressing called Something Better which I think is now out of production. I bought a bunch of it on sale at a Discount Auto Parts years ago.
Any foaming vinyl dressing would work IMO. Just get the stripes clean (Turtle Wax Vinyl Top Cleaner works well from personal experience) and then dampen a small sponge, squirt the foam dressing on the sponge and apply to the stripes. You'll have to be careful along the edge of the stripe but if you get the dressing on the body color portion of the fender it won't hurt it - just wipe it off. It makes the stripes look really good. :thumbsup:

Jim S.

Reaction score
I also think the type of paint used makes a big difference on how you clean them. If it's somewhat smooth semi-gloss or even the old Organisol, you have to be careful not to get too aggressive or you will create shiny spots just like buffing. I painted mine with urethane with some texture in it which is pretty tough. I just use vinegar and distilled water mixed 50/50 carefully with a microfiber cloth whenever any crap gets on them. Vinegar and distilled water also removes wax. Why do I get the feeling we are going to here from the "shiny stripe" guys. :lol:

Back