• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flux core/ MIG welder recommendations

jays69bird

Reaction score
Actually I have bought Harbor Freight tools for somethings I only intend to do once,I bought a drywall screw gun and roto zip tool,from their Chigago electric line. I was finishing the upstairs attic into living space,the bits were junk I bought better bits from Lowe's.Total invested I had less than just the Dewalt gun cost,however if I was to do a whole house I would have spent for the better tools.Same thing with a welder If I needed it once in a blue moon the buck nine would be okay in my opinion if I was welding panels onto a car I'd go with the Linc or something better.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Big John said:
Harbor Freight tools are OK as long as you are a bit selective about what you buy. Somethings are great, for example their big orange dead blow hammers. Some aren't worth bringing home.

Here's a link you might be interested in:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27192

I give them credit for compiling all that information (90 + pages), and you Big John for finding the forum. :cool: It really helps to research the risk/reward of buying cheap tools :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
we live and learn by our mistakes....as time goes on and we get caught up on our bills we treat ourselves to the better tools in life.....my first welding machine was a 6 cylinder chrysler 500 amp i picked up for 50 bucks.......barely turned over a drill when plugged in.....needed work and everything was rusted up.....sold it for a 100.....next was a 250 amp 4 cylinder lincoln with a blown head gasket....more junk......i finally bought a 220amp.155 sp lincoln innershield/mig automatic welder.....best machine for what i need

jays69bird

Reaction score
George I don't think I'll ever catch up with my bills :lol: But I know what you mean,but actually when I was younger everything had to be Snap on,Mac , or S&K. Now I'm older (wiser?) I get what gets the job done for the best price.So I spend alot of time at Sears now and Tractor Supply for tools.

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
jays69bird said:
George I don't think I'll ever catch up with my bills :lol: But I know what you mean,but actually when I was younger everything had to be Snap on,Mac , or S&K. Now I'm older (wiser?) I get what gets the job done for the best price.So I spend alot of time at Sears now and Tractor Supply for tools.

x2
I wish I had half the money I left on the Snap-On truck.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Here are my personal findings as junk tools harbor freight. Reciprocating saw, chop saw and hammer drill. The chop saw lasted the longest the other two broke the first use. No more electric tools :toetap:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The electric HF stuff is pretty much junk, although they have that multifunction tool that works pretty well for $35 on sale. I have one and its fantastic for doing odds and ends. I put a laminate floor in my kitchen and it was the best tool I ever used for triming the bottom of the door casing for the thickness of the floor. It is a little noisy, but at over $200 less then the German ones they advertise on TV, I'll wear ear plugs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/multifunction-tools/multifunction-power-tool-67256.html

George, that Chrysler powered welder had the same flathead engine as my old Chrysler does!

jays69bird

Reaction score
George, that Chrysler powered welder had the same flathead engine as my old Chrysler does![/quote]
We have two old Yale fork trucks at work that maintenance dept uses that have that flathead Chrysler motor in them running on propane,also have a fluid coupler with a safety clutch I wondered if the tranny was an industrial version of the old Fluid Power.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Big John said:
The electric HF stuff is pretty much junk, although they have that multifunction tool that works pretty well for $35 on sale. I have one and its fantastic for doing odds and ends. I put a laminate floor in my kitchen and it was the best tool I ever used for triming the bottom of the door casing for the thickness of the floor. It is a little noisy, but at over $200 less then the German ones they advertise on TV, I'll wear ear plugs.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/multifunction-tools/multifunction-power-tool-67256.html

George, that Chrysler powered welder had the same flathead engine as my old Chrysler does!
half the valves was stuck when i got it.....the old marval mistery oil trick and working them up and down got them loose.....that welder looked like a locomotive ......the whole unit was 12 feet long

i was thinking of buying one of those to big....now i am since you said it works good...thanks

Back