• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flux core/ MIG welder recommendations

6R9Runner

Reaction score
The spare hold-down is in place and its solid. The only spot that gave me trouble was where the gap was wider, but I didn't burn any holes...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
to many ass hole deputy's around here :basketcase: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

And yet you somehow manage to avoid getting picked for any of these duties... :lmao:

:jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
I finally picked up a flux core welder on the weekend, $109 from HF (could have probably done even better with a coupon but I couldn't wait). The face shield was junk but I knew that in advance, having read most of the on-line comments. I'll practice with similar gauge materials before welding the spare hold-down in the trunk. LE Innershield wire gave me good results.

Many thanks about the cautions about welding galvanized steel, and the use of solvents.

Okay, I'll bite. I think I've figured out what "HF" is, but can't say for sure... "Harbor Freight" - I'm guessing...
What all do you get for only $109?

ACME

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

And yet you somehow manage to avoid getting picked for any of these duties... :lmao:

stuie just got bitchslapped :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay, I'll bite. I think I've figured out what "HF" is, but can't say for sure... "Harbor Freight" - I'm guessing...

ACME

Sorry, yes Harbor Freight. Its their Chicago Electric 90 amp flux core "MIG" welder. There was a 1 lb coil of 0.030 wire and a handheld face shield. I bought a better helmet and 0.035 Lincoln Electric Innershield wire from Home Depot on the recommendation of some on-line reviewers. As a rule I prefer to buy quality tools but with the amount of welding I plan to do, cheap won out.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
ACME A12 said:

ACME

Sorry, yes Harbor Freight. Its their Chicago Electric 90 amp flux core "MIG" welder. There was a 1 lb coil of 0.030 wire and a handheld face shield. I bought a better helmet and 0.035 Lincoln Electric Innershield wire from Home Depot on the recommendation of some on-line reviewers. As a rule I prefer to buy quality tools but with the amount of welding I plan to do, cheap won out.

Thanks for the info - for the limited requirements I have I was thinking of doing the same thing which is why I asked. My next door neighbor can weld anything so for any serious requirements I just buy him a case of beer anyway... :lol:

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
moparstuart said:

:yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Thanks for the info - for the limited requirements I have I was thinking of doing the same thing which is why I asked. My next door neighbor can weld anything so for any serious requirements I just buy him a case of beer anyway... :lol:
You are lucky, I have definitely done the same for a friend who has a TIG welder, welds aluminum, etc. For a serious welder, they would consider my welder a toy, but for me welding is in the same category as golf: I always wanted to do it (or say I did it), but never practiced enough to brag about it. I've made a lot of BAD shots with some good clubs, so why blow beer money on something that will gather dust (thanks for helping me justify my cheap A$$ decision! :cheers: ). But my wife already had me repair a wrought iron patio chair for her friend "as a favor" and I'm sure there will be more projects... :basketcase:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
You're a smart man. Welders love beer.
Hmm... if beer improves my golf game, therefore if I drink before welding, will that make me better? :eek: Shoot, I've veered into hijack territory again... what was I talking about? :huh:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
You're a smart man. Welders love beer.
Hmm... if beer improves my golf game, therefore if I drink before welding, will that make me better? :eek: Shoot, I've veered into hijack territory again... what was I talking about? :huh:
You keep forgetting, threads are hijacked all the time around here. After all, it is "par for the course!" :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
6R9Runner said:
Shoot, I've veered into hijack territory again... what was I talking about? :huh:
You keep forgetting, threads are hijacked all the time around here. After all, it is "par for the course!" :lol:

Technically, I don't think we even recognize the term "thread hi-jack" around here. We do acknowledge and expect "conversational redirections" however... :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
ACME A12 said:

ACME

Sorry, yes Harbor Freight. Its their Chicago Electric 90 amp flux core "MIG" welder. There was a 1 lb coil of 0.030 wire and a handheld face shield. I bought a better helmet and 0.035 Lincoln Electric Innershield wire from Home Depot on the recommendation of some on-line reviewers. As a rule I prefer to buy quality tools but with the amount of welding I plan to do, cheap won out.[/

sometimes you get what you pay for and with your chicago welder it may not run as well as a better machine giving you poor welds which will make things worse. the more you weld the better you will get by watching the puddle to make sure you are joining the metal to the weld.....you have to have your travel speed correct....your stick out correct....your welding angle correct...your wire speed correct and your volts correct..try and make the joining metal as tight as you can without any gaps...if one of these are wrong your weld will not come out right and throw out that hand held welding helmet out....by on that you can wear on you head......sometimes you need both hands to weld smoothly and to get comfortable...i hope this helps you :thumbsup:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
And if you need reading glasses to read, you'll need them to weld too.....gotta watch that puddle.......... :thumbsup:

andy69

Reaction score
Ive got a lincoln 175 have use it from welding rear boot 1/4s etc to welding a motorised spit for my inlaws( fits a 22kg lamb) can supply photos anyway thats another story-yes its bloody great welder.....cheers you can also buy all the parts

jays69bird

Reaction score
Big John said:
sixgunrunner68 said:
I weld for a living and I'm a big fan of Lincoln products, however all major brands are making quality equipment. So if you want a Miller, Thermal Dynamics, Hobart etc. you won't go wrong. I have a weld pak 100 mig at home and its handy for sure. I converted it from flux core to gas for personal preference. That doesn't mean that flux core is no good. Penetration is no issue with flux core, if anything, set up correctly will give more penetration than gas, and I have welded 1/4" plate with it as long as you preheat the steel. It really depends on what you are doing with it. Go kart repair flux core is fine, body work gas shield.

OK.. 5/16" plate... You aren't gonna be able to weld 5/16" plate... Then again, what do I know. My high school welding teacher dropped dead one day. Lesson learned, never weld galvanized steel. His replacement was run over on his motorcycle and killed. The third welding teacher was pretty good (and he lived through the class), but by the time he came around, there wasn't much of the school year left to learn anything.

Speaking of dead welders.... This bears repeating.
http://69roadrunner.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1273
If you ever watched this is Spinal Tap...the welding teacher sounds like the drummer that kept dying!

Back