• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flying Heritage Collection

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know some of you are also interested in airplanes so I thought I's share a few photos that were taken on my last visit to the FHC at Paine Field in Everrett, WA about two months ago. For anyone that doesn't know, Paul Allen (of Microsoft fame) owns this collection of WWII aircraft and displays them. They also regularly fly them during Seattle's months of better weather so if you time your visit to coincide with a "Fly Day" you'll be treated to not only a museum experience but an airshow as well. Only a couple of the aircraft are not operational (the Komet for instance - as most of them blew up when they tried to fly them...) so it is a unique experience. If you're into these type of aircraft then this is the mother lode... My only disappointment was that they did not have a P38 as that is my favorite WWII fighter...

Hope you enjoy...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Good pics Ray :thumbsup: There use to be a nice museum in Mesa out east and it went away :toetap:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
being a jet mechanic in the USAF those prop jobs are bad ass.....cool pics ray....love that old stuff :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
ACME A12 said:
I spy a Russian Polykarpov I-16 in the background behind the 109 in the DSC00403 pic.

Give that man a gold star! Good eye, Mr. McGowan! They actually have two Polykarpovs - the 1-16 Rata and a U-2. Here are a couple of pics. They also have a Jenny - which might make you ask "why is that in this collection?" The answer would be that most American & Canadian pilots of the era were flight-trained in Jennys so Mr. Allen put one in his collection. Keen observers will notice a Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa Oscar sitting behind the Jenny. Oscars were the mainstay of the Kamikaze Program.

mcmopar

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
[quote="ACME A12":1wvv15rh]More...
I spy a Russian Polykarpov I-16 in the background behind the 109 in the DSC00403 pic.

Give that man a gold star! Good eye, Mr. McGowan! They actually have two Polykarpovs - the 1-16 Rata and a U-2. Here are a couple of pics. They also have a Jenny - which might make you ask "why is that in this collection?" The answer would be that most American & Canadian pilots of the era were flight-trained in Jennys so Mr. Allen put one in his collection. Keen observers will notice a Nakajima Ki-43 Hayabusa Oscar sitting behind the Jenny. Oscars were the mainstay of the Kamikaze Program.[/quote:1wvv15rh]

Why not a Red Star? :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
You may have whatever colored star you like... :lol:

More neat stuff: V-1 Rocket (buzz bomb) and a manned V-1 Rocket...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Those are great pics Ray. That is an interesting collection WWII planes. And I think it's great that the planes of our advesaries are included. I have on occasion seen some planes of that era in the air. Those include a B-17 and B-24 that are part of, IIFC the Collins Foundation who fly them around to small airports for viewing. I want through the B-17 entering through the floor entrance below the cockpit. You would then exit from the rear door. How I did managed to get my big butt through the bomb bay area I'll never know! There is very little room in those planes! I also saw a Mustang up close. It was publicity thing where they took a local traffic reporter who reports from the air, for a ride. Since it was in a major airports air space they couldn't fly at full speed, but it was still quite a site. What was really funny was that several of the taxiing commercial flights told the tower that they wanted to wait and watch the Mustang get airborne before they did.

69runner

Reaction score
Ah yes, another great passion of mine: ariplanes. Specifically World War II war birds. The P-51 Mustang is my favorite. (I have an RC version of one.) Favorite non WWII aircraft would be the SR-71 Blackbird. Got to watch one fly in person once, what a site! Thanks for sharing the pics.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
69runner said:
Ah yes, another great passion of mine: ariplanes. Specifically World War II war birds. The P-51 Mustang is my favorite. (I have an RC version of one.) Favorite non WWII aircraft would be the SR-71 Blackbird. Got to watch one fly in person once, what a site! Thanks for sharing the pics.
I agree the Mustang is my favorite and I had a low level pass over me years ago by a b52, now that will get your attention :lol:

moparchris

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing Ray, I can appreciate all things mechanical. Those old planes are the engineering masterpieces.

These pics are from Pearl Harbor Air Museum. I took these when I was on Oahu last summer.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
69runner said:
I agree the Mustang is my favorite and I had a low level pass over me years ago by a b52, now that will get your attention :lol:
You are so right about the B52s Bob. I was at our major airport late one evening with a friend watching planes land. Several passenger jets had landed when we heard engines that sounded much different then the others. I was surprised to see a BUFF landing, followed by another two planes later. Well my friends father was in upper management at Hamiltion Standard so we told him about it and since he knew some of the top brass at the Air National Guard base at that airport he would ask about it. When he inquired about the landings, the commanding officer at the base asked him, somewhat angerly, how he knew about it. He was told, and then said that these two planes were on their way to Bierut, and one of them was having hydraulic problems. This was just after the bombing at the Army base in Bierut that took the lives of over 200 of our soldiers. They were trying to sneak them into the airport for repairs hence the late night landing. A hard thing to do with that big, and loud, a plane.

Back