• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Found another one, my old 70 Challenger, sent to Oz

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I'll have to post stories on this car as I think of them. There were TONS of cool things that happened around this car.

I got it from the original owners. This car has over 300K miles in it! Best me and him could tell anyway. Speedo didn't work for I don;t know how long, I guess since he jammed it in there back in the day. But this car was NEVER EVER driven in the salt. So it made it well.

He sold it to go goat farming, no joke.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Guess I can start with getting it home and finding out the hard way that the radiator was plugged. From the sand in the 400 that was in it. Hit 250 one day before I could stop. End of the 400 right there. Smelled like a charcoal pit when I opened it up.

SO I threw together the 440 from a pile of parts I had. Had a Holley EFI setup on it, too small for the 440 but still ran good. The control box died and I put the intake and carb in the pics on it. Ran pretty good.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
With the small EFI, it ran a 14.39 at the track. A 14.40 and a 14.41 all around 96 MPH. Was just a 72 440 with stock down the hole pistons, over 100K on the clock and did have freshened up stock heads.

The carb was a 750 and I could tell it had more power with that for sure. THat carb had been on a stock smogger 440 in a 71 Cuda and ran 14.02 at 100 flat, so I know it was a damn good carb.

The Challenger had a stock stall 727, and 3.23 rear. Just like my RR now, the Cuda, and my old 69 Bee, and other RR's. I really like that gear for what I do.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
SO one day I decide to race a guy on the interstate. I later figure with a math calculation that based on the tire height, 5700 RPM or a little better, and the gear, that we were doing around 135.

I can tell you that the windows on an E body will start to rock in and out at that speed if they don't sit in the tracks like they should. Was kinda scary hearing and seeing that glass move around like that. Scared me more than the front end lift at that speed.

That lead to the discovery that the original owner wasn't BSing about racing a Porsche with the 400 in it. That was some engine I could tell and he claimed that the Challenger won. I doubted that but I do figure he raced it like that since that engine had all the sand go to the radiator. Guess where the sand in the 440 went? Yep, another boil out job was in order, at least I didn't lose the engine this time around. And I had poured the sand out of that block the best I could putting it together.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I used to get all sorts of people hounding me about selling the car. I really think people thought since the paint wasn't nice that it was a cheap car. One guy bothered me in my driveway on my way to class one day to offer me 1100! Wow. Hard to turn down that much cash buddy, hate to see anybody get screwed on the deal :lmao:

Me and a buddy drove it to the Nats one year. Ended up blowning the power steering hose along the way. I think it shook and that caused the complex bend to stress. So I stopped to get a new one in some OH town. A guy there INSISTED I sell him the car. That may well have been the foundation for the mean demeanor I take on when I get hounded about selling a car to this day.

He told me that he could afford it since he "worked for Rumpke". Like that mattered to me somehow. OK buddy, show me more cash then I can refuse and it is yours. He didn't get it that day.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
So we get to the show. The car got about 7 MPG best I could tell. Bunch of mismatched parts will do that.

Sitting in all that traffic around NTR, I heard the fuel pump start to change pitch.

Pushing the car off the road, me and my friend's little brother set out on foot. Came to a farmhouse where these biker dudes were having a huge field party band and all. They sold me a gallon for 3 bucks. Gas was under a dollar back then.

Walked back and found out that my buddy had had about 3 people stop and offer gas but the locking cap key was in my pocket.

Took the gas can back and the bikers decided we were cool enough to stay at that point. Tired and pissed from the whole day, we left. Almost ran out before we got to the station, had to push the car for a bit, really threw the cops around the track for a loop, seeing a car be driven, then pushed, then driven, etc.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Around that time, I decided the back glass should come out before any more rust could take hold around the bottom. You know a precaution.

I know two body guys really well, both live right next to their shops. Took it to the one in my hometown.

Go out to see him, a usually thing. See a guy with the hood raised and the door open sitting in the drivers seat! Have budy with me and we get out of my truck and chase him to his get away ride and they speed off. Car was unhurt but damn I was pissed.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
To make matters worse, they missed a spot and it leaked. I rushed the guy's shop to get the car redone and back to me before anything else happened to it. I bet the Auzzy people really think KY shops do crappy work after seeing the refixed back glass. But it sealed and I got the car home to continue enjoying.

Fast forward a few years. The car enters body shop pergatory at my other friends place. In the 2 1/2 years it sat there, somebody managed to back into it and not tell anybody. My friend never got around to painting it, and since I had now had two bad experiences, he fixed up the damage and the rust bubbled 1/4s and I took the car on home. Kinda dejected, I was happy to get it home. Was going to be painted white, not because of the movie, but because I like white cars and cats.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
While it sat at the second shop, I get a call. A guy needs some headlight bezels to complete his car, claimed a 15 year project or whatever. Said my buddy hooked him up w/ my number. I tell him he can have the bezels on the car since I had a nice set on a parts car at home, couldn't care less about those on the car. He is happy.

Call me buddy to tell him that the guy will be by to grab the parts, take them off or at least let him. Get a call back that says urgent to call him. SO I do, tells me that he would NEVER give out my info and that he sure didn't to that guy, he was unhappy that the guy used him as a "means" to talk to me. SO I call him up and rip the guy for lying to me. Buddy later sees the guy driving his car w/o bezels but was more than likely just a flip car he had anyway.

I find out that my mom had changed her house number to my name since dad died. I had no idea that the change had happened and that made the story about the guy finding my number in the book even mroe suspect after he fessed up that my buddy didn't give the info. Must have rifled through the car to find my name. Also not cool. I get boiling mad when I think about people getting in my cars. Stay the hell out of them.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
THe parts car I had was a story in itself. I had went to a big town and looked at a 69 RR. Didn't liek that car but guy standing aroudn there says he knws what I need, leads me to his buddy selling a 70 Challenger. Cool.

That car was junk but covered in good parts. After being led around the world adn to the end of a million dollar subdivision, seeing the guys well oiled social circus, I pay cash and his crew even delivered the car for me. Was a real neat experience but I could never find that place in a million years, I think that was the idea. Lots of interesting people coming and going. :leave: :acme: :pot:

Guy had a neat collection of mostly high end Chevy stuff and race cars.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
In the never ending saga of this car, a new thing happened.

I had the parts car covered up behind the fence. Push it around front under a tree, I wrapped it up real good. I mean real good, can't tell what it is, nothing gonna get to it.

Get another damn phone call, guy wants to buy it. :soap:

After I tell him my cars aren't for sale, he comes off with detailed questions about the car. Curious, I asked him just how he knew what was what since it was covered up real damn well. HE HAD TAKEN THE FING COVER OFF THE CAR. :soap: :chuck:

SO I rip him a new one and ask just why he felt the need to come on private property and uncover private property. He told me that I had to expect that. Uh, no and I see you, you better run Mr. Richard Cranium. :chuck: :chuck: :chuck:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
The Challneger would do a KILLER burnout and I used to tear up the road un front of my uncle's house. To the point my aunt woud get ticked so I had to quit that. As soon as one pair of tracks would fade away, a new set got laid :devil:

The in car action was so violent, that you would get thrown around in there. It scared the piss out of people riding shot gun. Later figured out that it had a bent axle. I think it wasn't getting even traction on the right side because of that so it would really go side ways and that was what scared people.

I have never figured out what could bend an axle like that and not make the car ride rough or have busted anything. Tough stuff those old Mopar axles are.

Back