• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four speed manual transmission

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Bird fan's. I need an expert to tell me about a transmission looking to buy. On the stamp plate it has pp833 2814. top set of number's are 044.9.158417. some where their is c99192 H4 and on tail shaft is 3/18/69. The seller claim's it is from a 69 roadrunner. Can some one tell me if all of these number's sound rite for my 69 roadrunner. The seller say's it turn's free. I don't want to buy a pig in a poke. Asked the seller if in put shaft was pitted no answer but it is a 23 spline. I know that pitting is bad. The seller want's under 900 for it dose this sound like a good deal and shifter come's with it. Well sorry to pick your brain but looking for a little help. I know some one will have the rite answer here. I figure if have to put some part's into it will run up the cost. If their isn't much wrong inside should be a grate deal may be just don't know. Well appreciate any feed back.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Price is ok with the shifter if its good but you are going on his word without opening it up and then it takes a trained eye. Turns free doesn't mean much, I do not have the part #s but could tell if it is a B-body with a picture. If it is originally from a 69 it will have a full VIN stamped on the side starting with RM21H or RM23H. A core without shifter is worth about $400 to a rebuilder. :yesnod:

Last edited:

djais1801

Reaction score
Price is ok with the shifter if its good but you are going on his word without opening it up and then it takes a trained eye. Turns free doesn't mean much, I do not have the part #s but could tell if it is a B-body with a picture. If it is originally from a 69 it will have a full VIN stamped on the side starting with RM21H or RM21H. A core without shifter is worth about $400 to a rebuilder. :yesnod:

my trans only has the last 8 of the vin; passenger side stamped pad.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Might differ from plant to plant mine has the whole VIN. It should have a long tail shaft and the shifter mounted toward the front of the tail shaft

roadrunner restoration 564.jpg

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jamie Passion wants $1295 for a ready to go rebuilt 23 spline. great guy to deal with. I got one from him once, traded in three cores at $200 each and picked it up at The Nats. $900 better be good to go. without knowing the seller or the history of the trans...I think I'd pass.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thank you 69Hemmibeep it is short tail shaft with shifter on front of tail shaft not on the end. It dose come with shifter with out bolt's holding the shifter shaft it is a Hurst no shift grip or nob. They supplied some info like pp833 2814. But did not tell me if the vin had a RM21H or RM23H. Where would he see the 3/18/69 on tail shaft. I do not have any picture's to share. This one of those one line deal's. If any thing else you think of let me know ok. Hope my title's are getting better.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello Basketcase thank you for the response. I have talked to Passion and Brewer's. The deal is this has a shifter thrown in to the deal. Weighing the odd's because I have rebuilt many manual transmission's my self. So that being said what is I Have to dump another 800 or so to rebuild it. It is too bad that I can't see it on line but I would be getting the shifter. Thanks that is what I was thinking also was worried about the pitting on the input shaft where the clutch plate ride's or the ware to the spline's. Well it is a problem. Thank you for the advice and helping to be a sounding board some time talking to another car guy help's.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yo djais1801 that car you got make me eat my hart out hope mine look's as good when done with the restore. Thank you for your input also.

quikbird

Reaction score
Yep we are happy to provide inspiration, abuse, advice, critiques, and how to's. Not necessarily in that order. :lol:

Back