• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Four Speed rebuild?

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Anyone ever rebuild a A-833 before? Is it better to just send if off? :popcorn:

John69RR

Reaction score
I've done mine before. The FSM is very helpful. You need access to a press and a bearing puller. Try to not lose the roller bearings in the cluster shaft and input shaft.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I had a buch of cores laying around, and Passions gave me $200 each, and one of the remans only cost me $200. Of course it was in the fire.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I had a buch of cores laying around, and Passions gave me $200 each, and one of the remans only cost me $200. Of course it was in the fire.

Ouch. That damned fire has certainly left you with some scars, I'll tell you that...which is completely understandable of course...

Brewers told me that they have a new oven and now bake their cast iron finish on in-house whereas they used to send them out to have that done...

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

Ouch. That damned fire has certainly left you with some scars, I'll tell you that...which is completely understandable of course...

Brewers told me that they have a new oven and now bake their cast iron finish on in-house whereas they used to send them out to have that done...

Ray
I think I helped finance the oven with the parts I bought :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
If you want someone else to rebuild it, I have a friend in Syracuse that has been doing them for years now. He's always at Carlisle and I'm not sure but I think he hits the Nats too.

In fact, I think he even worked at NPG for a while assembling them.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
Basketcase said:

Ray
I think I helped finance the oven with the parts I bought :lol:

And we all thank you for your contributions... :D

They got me pretty good too for the clutch, TOB, PP, and flywheel last month...I upgraded to their (McLeod actually) 12" clutch disk while I was at it...

Did you also have them rebuild your A833?

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I did my own, there is a place in town that sells nothing but munual trans parts. :thumbsup:

dstryr

Reaction score
I broke a shift fork in my A833 several weeks ago and have it apart now. I tapped the main shafts out with a hammer and drift pin and had a machine shop next door press the bearings off. I will either have them press the new bearings on or use a piece of pipe that will fit over the shafts to tap the hubs back into place. I should be able to have it back together this week.

If you do it yourself, get a good set of lock ring pliers for the true-arc lock rings. Other than that I had all the tools I needed except the bearing puller. I also bought the Brewer's rebuild kit.

Ray, I have had a McLeod 12" clutch in for 5-1/2 years and really have liked it. I will use the same PP and upgrade the disc when I put my stroker motor in, along with a new Hays flywheel. I think you'll like yours. :thumbsup:

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Where does one get a snazzy manual for help along the way? :cheers:

dstryr

Reaction score
Glad you asked. I'm working out of a 1969-1974 Chilton's manual and it is a little hard to follow, but so far I think I'm ok. :crazy:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I used a 69 Plymouth service manual, I believe you can get them on cd :thumbsup:

Big John

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
I used a 69 Plymouth service manual, I believe you can get them on cd :thumbsup:

:toetap: :toetap: :toetap:

Or right here in the Reference Section...

Big John

Reaction score
BTW, the factory (here in Syracuse) that built all those transmissions will be closing soon.

MB sold NPG to a Canadian company named Magna back before they dumped Chrysler. When everything got a little nuts, Magna approached the union about cutting wages and bennies... They said otherwise the plant will shut down. The union voted three times and each time said no.

The union guys actually think there are other non skilled or semi skilled jobs out there making the same money.... They are in for rude awakening.

The plant will shut down in the next few months and will move operations to Canada.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

Boy I have a nack of pissing off the Mod :jester:

mcmopar

Reaction score
Big John said:
The union guys actually think there are other non skilled or semi skilled jobs out there making the same money.... They are in for rude awakening.

You've got that right. All these dummies refusing to make concessions is just plain stupid, if you ask me. I'm not in a union state (FL - right to work) but you'd have to be blind not to see that now is not the time to be inflexible. I've taken over a 45% pay cut since I got let go in April of 2008. Actually its probably more like 50%+ since I only get 32 hrs per week and work as a contract employee and have to pay my own taxes. Yeah, it sucks big time but at least I've got a job and can pay my bills since my wife landed a decent job. It just really chaps my hide when I see unions or anyone else being inflexible and not taking a hit like a lot of the rest of us. It also really irks me when the management of these companies (GM and Chrysler) is not taking pay cuts, takes the Gov't bail-out money and then decides to stick it to their dealers!
I know my rant won't change anything but we are taking the old "swirly swim" down the toilet in a big, big way.
There, I'm done hijacking the thread. Sorry 'bout that.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

Boy I have a nack of pissing off the Mod :jester:

better keep an eye on you're aviatar for a while...... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
dstryr said:
Ray, I have had a McLeod 12" clutch in for 5-1/2 years and really have liked it. I will use the same PP and upgrade the disc when I put my stroker motor in, along with a new Hays flywheel. I think you'll like yours. :thumbsup:

It will be a while before I find out... As I've mentioned before (but just in case you missed it) I'm building a new '69 440 to go into the car when I do the resto. So all of the new parts will just end up on static display on the engine stand until the car has been gone through and it's time to bolt everything back together...no idea when that will actually be... For now the '70 engine remains in the car and she remains operational... Machine work is supposed to be completed this week, but I doubt that I'll actually build it until after I have the malibu finished...need to stay focused on finishing this project...

:jester:

dstryr

Reaction score
Big John said:
69hemibeep said:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Two thumbs up for the Service Manual!

I put my trans together over the weekend with the help of the section from the service manual. Geesh, it took forever to download on DSL so I could print the 10 pages I needed to take out to the shop with me. Great resource to have online! Thank You! :worship:

1BADBIRD, how are you coming on your rebuild?

Back