• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

four speed trans questions

roadrr

Reaction score
My 4 speed roadrunner came with a 23 spline trans. question is i have a good 18 spline trans and matching driveshaft. that should be a direct bolt in correct? just weighing my options. was thinking about saving the original trans just in case something bad happened i still had it.

quikbird

Reaction score
No change needed for driveshaft. Trannies are same length. Unless have really modified the engine there also is no reason to change them. 23 spline will hold up just fine.

roadrr

Reaction score
No change needed for driveshaft. Trannies are same length. Unless have really modified the engine there also is no reason to change them. 23 spline will hold up just fine.
i would just need to change the yolk right?

quikbird

Reaction score
Again if you haven’t seriously upgraded the horsepower and torque there is no reason to change. And several not too. Original number matching means something to value, it is not an easy job to change trannies. Will need new clutch disc, 833 trans is HEAVY. A real pain to pull in and out. Yes it is an ego thing to say has a hemi trans but if no changes as above, will not perform any better. Sell the hemi trans and get some other car parts you need. My two cents.

nevada dan

Reaction score
I read somewhere a long time back that the 23 spline can actually take more stress then the 18

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The internals are stronger than a 23 spline. I have a fresh one for sale locally if anyone is interested. I can get a discount on fedx shipping. I might post an ad when I get back from Mexico

Terry Hauck

Choadicus
Reaction score
I read somewhere a long time back that the 23 spline can actually take more stress then the 18
No not true. The 18 is the HEMI/6pack trans. It is the stronger one, but the 23 is a very strong trans too. Like quikbird said if you haven't really built up your engine the 23 will be fine.

Back