• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frame Stiffener

rollie

Reaction score
About to install a LOT of horsepower into my 1969 B Body. Am concerned that I might twist the frame when I hold it to the pin with this engine. Looking for some comments about frame stiffeners, core support stiffeners and/or chassis support stiffeners. Any advice/comments appreciated.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
There's a few methods of connecting the frames together. One that looked good to me: http://store.uscartool.com/66-70-B-Body-frame-connectors.html I like that it doesn't cut the floor up and it looks stronger because it is welded to the floor.

It is a good idea, my hardtop A12 had a nasty habit of cracking the top of the left quarter panel near the door. We mig welded that a couple times and it still came back. Another car I had "oil canned" the left front fender until I connected the frames and added a 6 point cage.

droptop

Reaction score
Ft and rear torque boxes along with the frame connectors listed above will keep the twisting under control.

Torque bos ft flyer made.JPGTorque box rear flyer made.JPG

Torque bos ft flyer made.JPG

Torque box rear flyer made.JPG

tallhair

Reaction score
great suggestions and some do the K frame (skid plate included) and LCA stiffening kits from Firm Feel. I'm getting ready to do that me-self

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That kind of stuff would be for auto crossing not so for drag racing. Guys go so far as welding the inside of pinch welds on the floor pans for auto cross

tallhair

Reaction score
Some guys also remove or un-bolt the sway bars, swap out the torsion bars to slant six bars, and run skinny front tires, etc for drag racing. A good balance is a good idea for the street if you are actually driving one of these wonderful birds :)

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Some guys also remove or un-bolt the sway bars, swap out the torsion bars to slant six bars, and run skinny front tires, etc for drag racing. A good balance is a good idea for the street if you are actually driving one of these wonderful birds :)

Throw some 90-10 shocks on there a pinion snuber and go

tallhair

Reaction score
Rollie will this be a race car or short distance cruise car only or would you like to turn a corner or go around a curve once in awhile?

modernistsouth

Reaction score
Is this the numbers matching 69 in your pics? :disillusionment:
Definitely go with the torques boxes? They installed them in the hemi's and six packs from the factory. I'd also go with the fender braces, in addition the frame connectors and the core support.

rollie

Reaction score
Thanks to all for the great advice. Definitely going with the torque boxes (hemi boxes) and will probably add the frame stabilizers. Going to do an engine swap and not going to mess up the 'original' 383.DSC_8748.jpg

DSC_8748.jpg

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i added frame connectors{square tube 3/16...cut into floor and welded it up} but did"nt add torque boxes which i probably should have....she does twist up a little off the line with 8 pounds of air in the slicks though

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
can't imagine whay it would do that George.......

rollie

Reaction score
Not sure if there are Mopar numbers for the torque boxes (Hemi boxes). Does anyone know ? I know that Cartool has them and they are available from BE&E. Can't find them listed anywhere in my 69 Repair Manual. Want a precise fit so original part numbers would help (I think).

Back