• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Friday Fun

zupanj

Reaction score
I had intentions all week of taking my hemi road runner to the strip today just to see how it would do despite the 3.23:1 rear gears. However this morning I realized I didn't have a catch can on the car and there was no way they will let you run without one. So I took my 2011 5.0 Mustang GT just for fun. I made four runs most of which were not good, long time away and crappy driver. I did make one good run of 14.132 @ 107.5 with an old man reaction time of 0.200. This car is dead stock with 32 psi in street tires. I am sure I could shave a bunch of time. The first two runs I missed third and shifted into fifth from second, that cost a lot of time.

It has been a long time since I have done this, it sure is a gas and I have to say I am impressed with the car.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
yes.....what a blast.....the tree is fun to figure out......i always leave after the 3rd yellow.......you can practice on stop lights just to keep in practice......you did good for a old man jack :lmao:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
csuk9 said:
I bad day at the track, is better then a good day at work ! Careful not to break the daily driver:-o
when you drag race you drive it like you stole it.....if it breaks you replace the weak link........thats the blast for me

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
The first two runs I missed third and shifted into fifth from second, that cost a lot of time.

Jack - Coyote powered Mustangs rock. However, don't be so quick to put all of the blame for your shifting woes squarely on your shoulders. The stock shifters in those cars are usually one of the first pieces to get replaced when guys start to play with them. The stock shifters in the GT & V6 cars are the modern day version of the sorry-ass inland shifters used by Ma MoPar before they finally switched to Hurst. In short, they are crap, and an aftermarket replacement is just what the doctor ordered. There are several options available, although the Barton seems to be the one most in favor with the Mustang crowd at the moment. Here's a link:
http://www.americanmuscle.com/barton-mt ... r-kit.html

The BOSS has a significantly upgraded OEM shifter over the other MT82-equipped Mustangs, although I have been looking at the Barton shifter for a little while now also. Switching to BOSS 302 trany mounts will also help control engine torque and enhance your shifting experience, although this will result in increased noise, vibration and harshness.

If you're going to play with it, spend a few coins on a shifter and you'll be glad you did. :cents:

Ray

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
This has been Mustang talk brought to by Zupan and Acme, thank you and goodbye :lock: :lol:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
This has been Mustang talk brought to by Zupan and Acme, thank you and goodbye :lock: :lol:

I don't recall you complaining too much when I buzzed mine up to 8 grand for you... :lol:

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

:basketcase: :basketcase: :basketcase:

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
At 107 mph, that car will easily run high 12's with sticky tires. You probably spun half way up the track.

By the way, a catch can does not sound like a good excuse not to have run the Hemi? When I went racing, for a temporary overflow, all I did was get an empty water bottle and used a long zip tie to attach it to the lower front left of the radiator support and the bottom sat on the radiator stone guard. Just run your overflow hose through an existing hole into the bottle. If you don't have a zip tie, a piece of wire will do...but I wouldn't run the Hemi without tires either! I can see you running a time trial against a small block something or other and getting beat because of lack of traction. That would be embarrassing even if you know that you have a faster car. I borrowed some tires from a friend and would never have run it without them.

MIR10-27-20125.jpg

zupanj

Reaction score
Good advice Ray. Actually I spent too much time on the Mustang forum today and from what I could tell the other favored shifter is the MGW. It looks really good. Here are a couple of links.

http://www.mgwltd.com/2011-short_throw_shifter.shtml

and

http://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-201 ... ebate.html

I was thinking about looking into one of those.

JD

I pretty much spun through first and most of second. I didn't think about doing something like you mentioned, I just figured I would set up a catch can in the Road Runner and then go down. You are right about spinning the tires because the engine is very torquey but I figured the 3.23 gears would keep it to a minimum.

zupanj

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I don't recall you complaining too much when I buzzed mine up to 8 grand for you... :lol:

8 grand

Ray, what are you driving?

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
Good advice Ray. Actually I spent too much time on the Mustang forum today and from what I could tell the other favored shifter is the MGW. It looks really good. Here are a couple of links.

Yep, I have heard plenty about this one too. Seems to be favored by the BOSS 302 crowd - but it is more expensive and (just like the link mentions) for a while there they were backordered and you couldn't even get one. Not sure what the status is currently.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
zupanj said:
8 grand

Ray, what are you driving?

2012 BOSS 302. Coyote-powered like yours, but with all forged internals capable of running at red line all day long. This link covers the differences between the BOSS and the GT Coyote.
http://mustangsdaily.com/blog/2010/11/1 ... l-package/

The GT500 belongs to Mrs. ACME. These are our daily drivers. :yesnod:

Lucy and Peppermint Patty.jpg

Back