• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Cowl Panel Question

BBillyC

Reaction score
When I look down into the louver/grill of the upper cowl panel immediately in front of the windshield I see a bunch of crud...paint, and gunk sitting inside on top of the lower cowl panel. Is there a way in there from the inside if I take the heater core and plenum off :huh: Thanks Bill

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that if you take the vent box off on the drivers side, you can get to that area. You sure get all that crap out when you open the vent, so that should give you enough area to snake a shop vac hose in there. Be easier than pulling the heater box, which isn't that hard unless it's an ac car.

BBillyC

Reaction score
This all started by putting in a new headliner...Duh. That spread to a new windshield. Then when pulling out the windshield (after 40 Years)....ouch RUST in the corners below the posts....both sides. Then I spot crap in louvers. Will this end. Tomorrow, the rust gets cut out and new metal TIGed in.

Thanks for the help

John69RR

Reaction score
I found this pic on the A12 site. Basketcase had a great idea but not sure if you can get to the debris.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Very cool photo. I was wondering what the cowl looked like inside. Got any pictures of where the drivers side window pillar meets the cowl? Thanks Bill

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That pic is from him drilling out the spot welds and taking the cowl off. Major surgery!

Take the heater box and driver vent off and reach up through the holes is the only way I know of to really clean. Maybe a pressure washer would help.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
will it ever end? beats me!
It's an old car, getting older everyday, so no, it will not ever end. There will always be something to be done.

John69RR

Reaction score
Big John said:
That pic is from him drilling out the spot welds and taking the cowl off. Major surgery!
He did perform some surgery on that car. :yesnod: A pressure washer is another good idea. Compressed air may help too.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That's the A-12 race car that was pretty much "swiss cheesed" to lighten it. It looked like a real project and a half to me.

Last I heard, it was for sale.

Back