• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front End Parts

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
To my knowledge the spindle/ lower control arms are bare metal, the uppers are flat black. not 100%

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Everything is natural except K-frame and backing plates if you have drum brakes which are semi gloss black. The upper control arms were natural but the over the counter replacements were semi gloss black. There were a ton of ball joints pressed out by shops not knowing they are threaded making for allot of replacement upper arms. Most all the bolts are black phosphate if you want to go that far and the lower control arms were dipped in cosmoline that's where the gold color comes from

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Also, front sway bar and sway bar brackets should be dipped/pained gloss black.
That's debatable Ive seen them both ways on restorations but being the sway bar is heat treated it might have black looking flakes on it from the prosess. Could they paint them after that yes but mine wasn't or it would have looked like my torsion bars with the black dripping paint same with the brackets. Same hold true for leaf springs, natural and painted

CompSyn

Reaction score
Back in Black

That's debatable Ive seen them both ways on restorations but being the sway bar is heat treated it might have black looking flakes on it from the prosess. Could they paint them after that yes but mine wasn't or it would have looked like my torsion bars with the black dripping paint same with the brackets. Same hold true for leaf springs, natural and painted

There's an article by Frank Badalson in the June 2012 MCG: http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9521/rnr4.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score

CompSyn

Reaction score
Burden of proof

Interesting, I talked to a couple of OE judges about the color and its the way I found mine, no sign of paint. But who am I to argue with Frank. I did mine as I found the one owner car and his account of the car and the photo documentation of it.

Yeah, it's quite a burden for Badalson or anyone to say something on these cars is set in stone.

I guess correctness comes down to the best interpretation on the part of the restorer.

For me, I'm going for correctness but not for a perfect 100-pointer. Going black will be easy enough for me and considered "correct" in some circles.

Back