• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Front Rail about to be replaced

quikbird

Reaction score
as someone who has been there, take really good measurements and square it all up before you final weld that rail in place and the inner fender on. that will make it much easier to replace the fender down the road.

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Your advice is accepted Thank You... , I have been very careful , hoping every thing stays where it is and I took good measurements, so I take it from you to just firmly tack it and then get my inner fender tacked in before the solid welds..

quikbird

Reaction score
Not a bad idea to tack weld it and try the fender on just to see how it lines up before welding. My thread was called front inner fender in general discussion . Lots of pictures in it. Hope it helps. :cheers:

SgtLee511

Reaction score
I like the pics, did you have to replace any flooring, I'm going to replace mine from front to trunk, I want to skip the rear under seat pan, but only need the floor fo sure under the seat, but havent seen any pans for just that. My father in law is a retired body man and suggested glueing the pan like the shops do now. Im not sure how I feel about that, and the glue gun is too expensive. Have you seen anyone on this site gluing panels.

quikbird

Reaction score
did not have to replace any flooring. I had done that some years before. they were still in good shape. have not seen any one glueing panels. my only hesitation on that is these are a unibody car and forces and stresses are constantly moving around the body as you drive and corner etc. even a lot of the cars they use adhesives on still weld the important areas.

72plymouth

Reaction score
Had to replace my left rail as you did! Drilling out all the spot welds helped alot when I put my new one on! Put a used one on in which was in great shape! Your car is looking good!

SgtLee511

Reaction score
Fed Ex got my rail to me yesterday, My son n law and I have been cutting out rust and welding new metal on my core support, last nite, hoping to get it in Sunday afternoon. Got so excited I ordered the inner fender today. IRS man around the corner, that Grinch aint stealing my Christmas. Thanks for the pep talk. Merry Christmas

quikbird

Reaction score
excellent! keep the pictures coming. it will help someone else down the line, plus this is the one group that knows just what you are trying to do, the problems involved, and are pulling for a great result for you. :bump:

Back