• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Additives

RR383

Reaction score
Besides running 93 octane and preferably 100% gas would there still be a need to drop in an additive due to cushion the softer seats in these older engines?

Last edited:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The additives won't do anything except make your wallet lighter. It's all snake oil.

The valve seats in the Mopars were a lot harder than the other cars back then. I've run thousands of miles using unleaded and standard valve seats with no issues. 80k miles on my A12 alone.

That's not to say that the addition of hardened valves seats is a bad idea when you are doing a valve job. It's just not a big issue like it is with other brands.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Like Big said the nickel content in the cast iron is high so they were pretty hard to start with. True with most early fords also, it was chevy in particular that had problems.

RR383

Reaction score
Wait a minute...100 % ethanol free is only 91 octane. Correct. So dropping a couple a numbers doesn't affect performance vs. filling up with straight 93?

Last edited:

TOMRR

Reaction score
I have been adding Marvel Mystery oil to the gas !! I figure it lubes the fuel pump and carb

Ranger

Reaction score
The additives won't do anything except make your wallet lighter. It's all snake oil.

Amen brother! :worship: Nothing more need be said.

EDIT:
In the interest of disclosure I should say that I do run a ZDDP additive in the oil, but that's where it starts and ends.

Last edited:
Back