• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauge

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I asked this question on another link and got good advice. thanks. Here's the deal.
My fuel gauge has never worked. First thing I did was get a new fuel sending unit, nothing. Had other problems and didn't work on this but from time to time. I have spent about fourteen hours (beer breaks) with separate car friends for the last three days just on this problem
I believe the gauge works because I attach a wire from the battery ground to the connector behind the driver kick panel where the schematic says to the fuel gauge and the gauge slowly goes to full. (help me if this is wrong). I checked continuity form wire that attached to the fuel sending unit to it's other end behind the kick panel and that's good. I checked the new sending unit and the ohms change when i move the float that attaches to the rheostat and that's working.

When I hook it all up,,,nothing!

69 Hemi stated that the ohms from the fuel gauge and the sending unit have to match. Huh?
Russ, I did clean the back of the gauge cluster when It was out. (don't remember how)

Even though I believe the sending unit (along with the original that I threw away) work, I ordered a new one that has not arrived but didn't see anything about ohms when I ordered it. (Maybe didn't look close enough)

What are the ohms for these supposed to be? How do I check the ohms on the fuel gauge? As far as I can tell the ohms on the sending unit change depending where the float is.

This problem has been a issue since I got this car but after this week I am lost.
Help!

(follow up)
I've check the continuity each time I approach this issue and it is good.

Just now checked the ohms on the sending unit. Low was 9 and high was 76.
1,000 grit sand paper a few times and low is now .3 and high is 75 so it did make a difference.
Of course I threw the one that was in the car when I got iaway about two and a half years ago.

I purchased a third sending unit and still nothing.
Checked and cleaned all connections, nothing

V.R.D

Reaction score
it needs a great ground for the sending unit witch is done with a metal strap it has to be tight from the fuel line outlet on the sending unit to the line on the body to the engine and that line has to have a great ground test with the ohms meter sand and clean the new strap that will fit right and use anti-size at connections.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
VRD, thank you for the information.
I have ran as a test, a wire from the battery ground to the outlet of the sending unit and still nothing.
This was done with the sending unit out of the gas tank.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
New sending unit from Summit or parts mix. They are not that expensive. May have to adjust the float to get the right reading in the tank. Good luck.

V.R.D

Reaction score
i have had 3 of the new aftermarket factory send unit and they would read ohms test but the gage is not reading or reading right . i have a tanks inc fuel tank now it use a drop in level sending unit witch read perfect on the gage out of the tank after the clean up hear in Florida i will install . story is if you have the sending unit wire at the tank grounded and the gage goes to full then the send unit is at fault.

Rumrunner

Reaction score
Hope all is well with you, you're family and property in Florida.
All my components, wiring and connections seem to work or test good but when I hook it together, nothing. No movement in the gauge at all.
Tanks Inc.? I'll look it up.
Also, the sending unit I just purchased (third one) is a Doorman 692-207 off Amazon. Does Summet or Parts mix carry one Made in America?

V.R.D

Reaction score
Hope all is well with you, you're family and property in Florida.
All my components, wiring and connections seem to work or test good but when I hook it together, nothing. No movement in the gauge at all.
Tanks Inc.? I'll look it up.
Also, the sending unit I just purchased (third one) is a Doorman 692-207 off Amazon. Does Summet or Parts mix carry one Made in America?
they all seam to be the same junk the 2 i bought did not work took the 2 to make 1 and kind of worked some time . so the tank inc is a tank for fuel injection but could be made to work with stock set up .

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
We all know that our parts are made overseas. We don't make any thing here anymore. Bought one sending unit from Summit and it works fine so far. Had to adjust the float to make it work like it should. But don't trust the lower number near empty so fill up when at a quarter of a tank. The gallons do figure about right at that point on a fill up. Meaning that three quarter of a tank is about right on fill up.

Dpbruno

Reaction score
My gauge is working...don't want to high jack this thread...But tank leaks at sending unit...so only can fill to that level...about half full. How are you guys draining tank and reinstalling....what do you use to drain. Have new repro tank and installed ..kind of..hand to take it out cause j hooks were to short. Now back to original tank. Have to drain it to fix leak I guess. Any advice appreciated.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Pump bulb with long hose for in tank. Out board boat motor pump blub works grate to drain the tank. Still may have a little fuel in the tank but pretty much dry.

Larry Chilese

Reaction score
the fuel sending unit OHM output rating MUST match the Fuel Gage ability to read between the parameters of the Ohms-otherwise is will not read properly or not a all. Plenty of expamles on YouTube-Speedway even had a unit you can adjust the output to match the Ohm rating-I works too, tried it. 90% of problems are mis-matched OHM ratings.
First the the gages ability to read a particular Ohm Rating and match the output of the Sending unit. Most Sending units are not-pre-matchyou need to buy the correct unit.

Back