• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel gauge

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
does anyone know how to test the fuel gauge ? I read resistance from the sender on one side of the gauge and a pulse signal on the other side of the gauge . I ran a jumper from the pulse side to another gauge and a jumper from the resistance side to the other side of the other gauge and the gauge move up. before I tear apart the dash again to replace the gauge is there a way to test it?and does anyone other than year one sell repo gauges?

A31PKG

Reaction score
Try this(see pic).... If the gauge moves, then it's likely OK. At that point, turn the key off and gently tighten the nuts on the gauge studs (might as well do 'em all if you can get to 'em). Sometimes poor contact with the circuit board will cause these problems. A better fix is to remove the cluster and gauge nuts, & clean the copper contact area with a pencil eraser, but tightening the nuts should do it. If you still have problems, then troubleshoot the wiring and sender downstream from the cluster. Hope this helps!

DSC03182.JPG

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Is your ending unit in the tank still? I have an old one that I use if needed just ground it and use the wire for the unit to gauge and manually move the unit arm up slowly.

The other way is to get a rheostat and hook it up the the sending unit wire at the tank and turn the knob slowly and see if the gauge moves. remember to ground the stat to the frame.

Reminder the gauge moves very slow so when testing don't expect it to pin to one side real fast. it uses resistance to move it, difference in voltage from the sending unit to the gauge.

Does it move at all when the key is on? and you have gas in the tank? Any problems with other gauges? I will assume you checked all fuses?

The whole cluster uses a voltage limiter so the gauges don't get fried with 12vdc it drops them down to 5vdc I think. If you have problems with other gauges it may be that. If not then I would test the sending unit and gauge like mentioned above.

generaljmwlee

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Try this(see pic).... If the gauge moves, then it's likely OK. At that point, turn the key off and gently tighten the nuts on the gauge studs (might as well do 'em all if you can get to 'em). Sometimes poor contact with the circuit board will cause these problems. A better fix is to remove the cluster and gauge nuts, & clean the copper contact area with a pencil eraser, but tightening the nuts should do it. If you still have problems, then troubleshoot the wiring and sender downstream from the cluster. Hope this helps!

grounded it doesnt move. hooked up wires to the gauge in the cluster and hooked them to a spare gauge and it works. so I am under the impression the gauge is bad (and i did clean under the nuts before typing this)biggest question is who sells repoped gauges, all I found was for rally dashes

beepbeepbill

Reaction score
A31PKG said:

Do you always keep a cleaning bucket and blue/white umbrella in your front seat??? and how did you fit the camera over the steering column and not have the peddles get in the way of the camera??

:lol:
Bill

A31PKG

Reaction score
beepbeepbill said:
A31PKG said:

Do you always keep a cleaning bucket and blue/white umbrella in your front seat??? and how did you fit the camera over the steering column and not have the peddles get in the way of the camera??

:lol:
Bill

Magic :thumbsup:

Back