• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel Gauges

dobie

Reaction score
Anyone here have problems with an after market fuel gauge in addition to the factory gauge? I started a post over on moparts: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=5934962&an=0&page=2#Post5934962. It seems as though ground issues may be the cause of things. Towards the bottom another poster indicated that a new gauge did nothing to solve the problem. I plan on installing my new Auto Meter gauge in the morning when I get off of work, and just curious if anyone here has experienced similar problems with a new gauge.

:cheers:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
never used an aftermarket fuel gauge. been lucky with the factory gauge working. I do have aftermarket oil and water gauges under the dash. Glad to see I'm not the only one on midnight this week.

dobie

Reaction score
I have a triple gauge set up as well under the dash. It just bugs the crap out of me that the fuel gauge don't work. I was hoping to end that nightmare, but maybe not.

One more 7p-7a this week, then I'm off for 3 days. Finish up in the morning and don't go back till Monday at 7p.

:cheers:

droptop

Reaction score
I have heard good results from this. Might be worth a try. If you can't see in the pic, their is a ground wire soldered onto the float arm to the tube. Just make sure their is enough slack for the float to move it's full range of travel.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
I have heard good results from this. Might be worth a try. If you can't see in the pic, their is a ground wire soldered onto the float arm to the tube. Just make sure their is enough slack for the float to move it's full range of travel.
I saw this on the 'parts and posted it here for comment. So Harold, you were able to make it work right? IIRC, someone here tried it without much success.

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that link too. Thats why I posted here, to see if anyone has tried that. I guess I'll know tomorrow if a new gauge fixes my problem.

dobie

Reaction score
New gauge is in.......

and nothing was solved. Full tank is still showing almost empty. Everything worked out of the car. Needle went to full, but it didn't register until the float arm was all the way up. Dead spot throughout almost the entire range.

I give up. Obviously my car doesn't want a fuel gauge. :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Steve have you checked you're wiring? from the sender all the way to the gauge. there is a plug connector inside the drivers kick panel. maybe the sender wire is bad. I don't see how it could be the metal ground strap on the outside of the tank. In 20 years I've never had a mopar that still had one, and all my gauges have worked,this car included.

droptop

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
droptop said:
I saw this on the 'parts and posted it here for comment. So Harold, you were able to make it work right? IIRC, someone here tried it without much success.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I only wish that I was working on a faulty gas gauge.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
Roadcuda said:
droptop said:

Are those new floor pans I see there?

droptop

Reaction score
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I only wish that I was working on a faulty gas gauge.[/quote]
Are those new floor pans I see there?[/quote]

That is an original floor pan that I got from Texas Acres. About 6 months before AMD released the repop. :brickwall:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
droptop said:
Are those new floor pans I see there?[/quote]

That is an original floor pan that I got from Texas Acres. About 6 months before AMD released the repop. :brickwall:[/quote]
Doesn't it always work that way? How was it to install? It's good to see that you're making some progress! :thumbsup:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
dobie, I have a new gas tank and fuel sender with similar problems. With the fuel sender measuring 35 ohms (right now), the gage reads right on the line of Empty. When the tank is full, it reads only 1/4 full. With the key off, the needle drops to the left, and when you short the Dark Blue wire to ground, the gage goes all the way to the Full line (suggesting its ok). I still need to measure ohms at full and empty to see exactly what the sender is doing.
Q: What new fuel gage did you get? Did you select it based on a range of resistance (ohms?). did it work?

dobie

Reaction score
I got an Auto Meter one from Summit Racing. Im pulling out for Carlisle here in a bit, so once I'm home I'll get you more info. And no, nothing was fixed. Same crap, always reads empty.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
My original sender was reading anywhere between 50 to 90 ohms all through the range and it was erratic. It is easy to take apart (there are 3 tabs to bend back) and inside looks pretty simple. There is a coil that acts as a variable resistor and a brass contact on the float arm. By bendng the contact outwards slightly it makes better contact with the coil. After re-assembly the sender reads between 14 (full) and 80 (empty). I can't find a spec anywhere but 12 (F) to 90 (E) rings a bell. The poor contact was likely my problem all along. After I burn a bit more gas I'll take the new one out and test it on the bench.

Back