• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

fuel pressure

coyotekiller

Reaction score
I had something happen today that I have not seen I have my fuel pressure regulator set at 8.5lbs. I drove my car for a short ride and at a very low speed when I turned thne car off to get something my fuel pressure gauge read 12.5lbs and the car was flooded. I had my fuel pump off and the car running and the gauge stayed at 12lbs. Any suggestions?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Does it eventually bleed down to zero?

From what you are saying, it sounds like the gage is stuck.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Holley carbs can normally withstand a max. fuel pressure of 7-1/2 pounds per square inch (psi) before the needle and seat assemblies are overcome.
thats what i run on my dominators and you could which i had my powervalve blow from too much pressure.....all this heat doesnt help either

coyotekiller

Reaction score
today was the first time it happened but I will lower the pressure tomorrow and see what happens

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
coyotekiller said:
today was the first time it happened but I will lower the pressure tomorrow and see what happens
do you also have a spacer under your carb....this helps keep the gas in the carb from boiling over...was looking at steves car under the tent and he has a 3/8...1/2 inch spacer and said it helped him.....i would go with a 1 inch if you can stuff that under your hood

moparchris

Reaction score
Sounds like the regulator is suspect. Since its boiling over and the gauge reads 12.5 psi it sounds like the check ball is getting stuck open, maybe dirt in the fuel line? I would pull the regulator apart and inspect it for foreign material.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
coyotekiller said:
do you also have a spacer under your carb....this helps keep the gas in the carb from boiling over...was looking at steves car under the tent and he has a 3/8...1/2 inch spacer and said it helped him.....i would go with a 1 inch if you can stuff that under your hood

Yeah, that was recently installed to help the problems I had keeping the car running when it sat in traffic , running the water temp up, and then was very hard to keep running. I got stuck in traffic on the way home from Carlisle and the water temp went nuts, but with a little help from me on the gas pedal, it only stalled once, but I really had to feather the pedal other wise it would have stalled more, but I think that spacer really did help.

Back