• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fuel return line?

cj69RR

Reaction score
About to install and make a 1/4 fuel line for my runner. Where is the line ran for a stock location? Mostly interested in the engine bay, the rest should just follow the feed line to the tank. And which of the vent lines on the tank did you use or suggest for the return line to hook to?

cj69RR

Reaction score
Got 1/2 of the return line made yesterday. Would have made a lot more progress but couldn't find my tube bender till late in the afternoon. 1/4 inch stainless steel line is what I'm using.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Well got it rapped up today. Stainless steel 1/4 inch like from carb to tank. No leaks and it seams to have cured the types of hot starts and vapor lock issues. So it's good to go for fuel system, and if I decide to go fuel injected some day.

cj69RR

Reaction score
The test will be the next time out for a ride. But after testing it in the garage and no air circulation and about 10 minutes of sitting at full temp it fired right back up first try.

mrgenerallee

Reaction score
Where does the 1/4" return line connect TO at the fuel pump area? I have seen fule filters with a tee post connector, yet I wonder if its before the pump or after, if after wouldn't it never build up pressure, if before pump wouldn't it suck air in if its a vent line from the tank?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It would go after the pump and the factory Hemi's and 440 6bbl's used a vapor separator but a filter as you mentioned works. They have a certain size hole in the return that regulates the flow so as not to starve the carbs. This is the best cure for vapor lock but seems to cause hard starts after the car sets more than a few days allowing the line to the carbs to drain and if your carbs evaporate out like they seem to you got some cranking to do to fill them again.

mrgenerallee

Reaction score
Thanks !

THANK YOU That does make sense,.
It would go after the pump and the factory Hemi's and 440 6bbl's used a vapor separator but a filter as you mentioned works. They have a certain size hole in the return that regulates the flow so as not to starve the carbs. This is the best cure for vapor lock but seems to cause hard starts after the car sets more than a few days allowing the line to the carbs to drain and if your carbs evaporate out like they seem to you got some cranking to do to fill them again.

Back