• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Funny vibration...and it's does'nt feel good...I think!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Nice to have my oil pressure sending unit (new) working right. But i discovered something while letting it idle and watching the gauge come down from 50psi cold to 40psi warm.
I'm feeling a strange vibration in the steering wheel that changes as she idles. My first thought was not a good one: Bent crank,but would'nt that have self destructed by now. Or could it be that the carb needs a rebuild to meter fuel better?? Lots of questions so little answers..yet!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
So maybe it is making more power now than before. A bent crank HUM. Not that for sure. May be a motor mount. Do you have power steering. Is the motor knocking or pinging. Any bad motor noise. How dose it feel when you rev. It up???????

woodwiz

Reaction score
Runs down the road great, maybe this not being the original motor has a little more cam. For some reason I kind of lean that way. When I notice what it is doing it sort of changes intensity. Might be all in my head,geez I act like a worried parent. Reving it is fine.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I would expect some vibration in the steering wheel. After all every thing is bolted to the K member. If it is a different motor maybe your just not use to it. But we all wonder some time's what different thing's are doing when driving these old car's. Their not like the new modern car's. That are much more designed for comfort and smooth ride. These cars where to be driven and pounded and not a luxury car. So enjoy it and have fun. :steering:

nevada dan

Reaction score
Check your tires when steel belts start moving it’s felt in the steering wheel if you ignore it your car can get tore up pretty bad when they decide to let go

woodwiz

Reaction score
Well 2 of the most important things in all of this is first I bought the car without a test drive. And that vibration is just sitting idling and I haven’t been in this age of vehicle in 45 yrs. I’ll get reacquainted as time moves on. These cars are alive when running,ain’t no Lexus

nevada dan

Reaction score
oh, I didn't get the sitting still part, my steering wheel has no vibration while not moving ,I have power steering , do you think something might be touching the steering box or do you have solid or worn motor mounts,

Back