• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gas tank recommend / beware of?

sam z

Reaction score
Probably going to get a new tank. Saw on another mopar site a dealer called quantra (or something like that).
Couple others gave that place high marks. Recommendations or warnings about any others?

Filler neck: Should I replace it? I don't seem to have problems so I'd figure just use it the same one.

Biggy - sending unit: I've seen a few threads on here I think that guys have a hell of a time getting sending
units to work correctly, etc. I'm just gonna use the one I have. Seems to work fine (knock on wood).
ANY WARNINGS at all about doing this correctly when changing tanks, or am I just unnecessarily concerned?

Thanks guys.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sam z said:
Probably going to get a new tank. Saw on another mopar site a dealer called quantra (or something like that).
Couple others gave that place high marks. Recommendations or warnings about any others?

Filler neck: Should I replace it? I don't seem to have problems so I'd figure just use it the same one.

Biggy - sending unit: I've seen a few threads on here I think that guys have a hell of a time getting sending
units to work correctly, etc. I'm just gonna use the one I have. Seems to work fine (knock on wood).
ANY WARNINGS at all about doing this correctly when changing tanks, or am I just unnecessarily concerned?

Thanks guys.
I would have to look where I got mine, if its made in Canada you should be fine. Don't scratch the bottom and post a pic of it you will never hear the end of it :yesnod:

sixgunrunner68

Reaction score
I bought my tank, 3/8" sending unit, stainless straps, filler neck grommet and insulation pad from Mancini Racing. I was happy with everything, no issues. I media blasted the filler neck and painted it where it protrudes from the tank to the cap, good enough for me, I'm no where's near concours anyway. :D

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sam, the Quanta products are really good. These are the ones made in Canada as Bob mentioned. They have the Ni-terne steel finish that you want. If you're going to keep your original pick-up/sending unit make sure that you change the filter sock and inspect the brass float for pinholes. Just clean up and reuse the filler neck unless it is horribly pitted.

http://www.gastanks.com/1968-70-Belv-Co ... nfo/CR-9C/

Don't pay any attention to Bob about the gas tank scratch; he caught A LOT more hell over his license plate bracket... :basketcase:

:jester:

A31PKG

Reaction score
Don't forget the ground strap that connects the sending unit outlet to the fuel line on the frame. :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Sam, the Quanta products are really good. These are the ones made in Canada as Bob mentioned. They have the Ni-terne steel finish that you want. If you're going to keep your original pick-up/sending unit make sure that you change the filter sock and inspect the brass float for pinholes. Just clean up and reuse the filler neck unless it is horribly pitted.

http://www.gastanks.com/1968-70-Belv-Co ... nfo/CR-9C/

Don't pay any attention to Bob about the gas tank scratch; he caught A LOT more hell over his license plate bracket... :basketcase:

:jester:
:toetap: :toetap: :toetap: P.P.

dobie

Reaction score
I think my tank is Spectra maybe?? I know I bought it at Carlisle two years ago. I've got the receipt somewhere. I've been thru 3 sending units, and I still never have got that issue figured out. I gave up last year. The gauge always reads way low. At 1/2 tank I really have a full tank, and at "E" I've got around a 1/2 tank, I think.....

:crazy:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
I think my tank is Spectra maybe?? I know I bought it at Carlisle two years ago. I've got the receipt somewhere. I've been thru 3 sending units, and I still never have got that issue figured out. I gave up last year. The gauge always reads way low. At 1/2 tank I really have a full tank, and at "E" I've got around a 1/2 tank, I think.....

:crazy:
I have that problem too, but mine reads about 1/4 lower then what's really in there.

sam z

Reaction score
Am I to suspect that all of this s&^% occurred when you put the new tank in? If so, that's what I'm afraid
of.....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
dobie said:
I have....... many times.
Same here. I've wondered if since the float arm has several bends in it, that by bending the float end of the arm it throws off how the fuel level is read at the other end. Does that make sense?

dobie

Reaction score
sam z said:
Am I to suspect that all of this s&^% occurred when you put the new tank in? If so, that's what I'm afraid
of.....
I had this problem with both the original tank, and the new one. No difference.

dobie

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
dobie said:
I have....... many times.
Same here. I've wondered if since the float arm has several bends in it, that by bending the float end of the arm it throws off how the fuel level is read at the other end. Does that make sense?
Yeah, it makes sense, as I tried that too. I obviously didn't get the right bend, because that didn't work either.
:brickwall:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Don't forget the ground strap that connects the sending unit outlet to the fuel line on the frame. :thumbsup:

in 30 years I can count on one hand, and have four fingers left over that had that strap, and all my gauges have worked fine.

Back