• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauge cluster

Rocket

Reaction score
There has to be a better way. I think I am going to fab a piece of sheet metal and put better gauges in. I'm on my third cluster that doesn't work Any pics of gauges like this so I can get some ideas?

A12

Reaction score
oops wrong thread

DSC04842.jpg

Last edited:

quikbird

Reaction score
Been done in several of the magazines as well as some of the featured cars. This issue mopar action has digital cluster that drops right in.

Rocket

Reaction score
Who sells Mopar Action... I can never find these mags? And what manufacturer makes those particular gauges in the article?

I have three gauge clusters. I was thinking about cutting the backside of the cluster, removing all the gauges etc, and using carbon fiber to tape it off (covering the clear) and drilling for 2" gauges, that way I don't have to fab an entire unit. I know I can make it look good. That way it retains a stockfish look. It's not a stroke of genius but I'm sick of screwing with these gauges.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
just throwing out some random thoughts, are you sure it's bad gauges, not the wiring? I've never had trouble with any of my gauges, maybe I'm just lucky.

valleyson_69

Reaction score
I must agree with your assessment. I believe the best investment or insurance anyone can buy is a new under dash harness. Mopar's are noted for burning the main wire to the amp gauge causing it to short out. I am not saying ALL Mopar's have this problem BUT, many have. Also, possibly the voltage limiter has gone haywire. The gauges in my 69' are original and work well even after sitting since 1979.

Rocket

Reaction score
Does the cluster have to be grounded to the dash frame for everything to work? The one blinker works so I assumed that everything else should work with it not mounted. When get this lazy monkey off my back I'll go out and take another run at it.

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
Yes the cluster bolts to the dash acts as a ground. Are you sure your limiter is good and the circuit board and pins on it are solid? also check the plug to the cluster those pins come lose and push out if your not careful taking it on and off.

Rocket

Reaction score
I got that sucker in and I hope I never have to take it out again. The blinkers work, high beam light, not sure about the gas gauge yet. Anyway thanks for the advice!

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
If the gas gauge does not work there are some things we can try first that are easy to do.

jays69bird

Reaction score
My gauges all work, that voltage limiter can give you fits,I did have to swap in another circuit board though because of bad pins causing the cluster lights not to work.

Rocket

Reaction score
So far everything is working that I have hooked up. Won't use any gauges besides speedo and fuel gauge. Still haven't tested those out yet. I do know my dimmer is broke bc it is either on or off.

A12

Reaction score
I do know my dimmer is broke bc it is either on or off.

Some times you can fix the dimmer switch by checking that the contact is touching at all settings, and that it is clean and also checking the condition of the coil that it contacts.

DSC04951.jpg

DSC04951.jpg

A12

Reaction score
Just use a multi-meter to check continuity for full rotation of the dimmer wheel

DSC04949.jpg

DSC04949.jpg

A12

Reaction score
The dimmer may just need a good cleaning. That's all I had to do to mine.

Good point! I think the worst that I've had to do was fix one of the terminal connections but they can be repaired.

Back