• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gear Vendors Overdrive

JJRJR

Reaction score
I've been getting some recommendations that I should get the GV OD unit put behind my 4 speed. If what I hear so far about this system is even half right, it sounds like a great solution to open highway driving.

Was hoping some of you may have some actual experience with it. Are there any fitment issues on the 69 RR? Will it work with both X and H exhaust from TTI? Does it perform as advertised?

Thanks,

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
I've been getting some recommendations that I should get the GV OD unit put behind my 4 speed. If what I hear so far about this system is even half right, it sounds like a great solution to open highway driving.

Was hoping some of you may have some actual experience with it. Are there any fitment issues on the 69 RR? Will it work with both X and H exhaust from TTI? Does it perform as advertised?

Thanks,

John
i have it on my roadrunner.....on the back of my 727 and it is money well spent....i have 430 gears...3000rpms at 60 but when in overdrive she drops to 2200/2400rpms
as far as the h-pipe it would have to be moved back or install a x-pipe like i did
read all about it on my post and pics on the install
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2883&hilit=gear+vendors+overdrive

JJRJR

Reaction score
Great George, thank you. I'll check out your post about it.

Best,

John

JJRJR

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
JJRJR said:

Thanks,

John
i have it on my roadrunner.....on the back of my 727 and it is money well spent....i have 430 gears...3000rpms at 60 but when in overdrive she drops to 2200/2400rpms
as far as the h-pipe it would have to be moved back or install a x-pipe like i did

George, just read through that set of posts. Wow, it really sounds like the installation was a bitch, but all worth it in the end. I'd likely get a new driveshaft as well and save the old one. I'd have to have someone install it for me. How did it effect your low end? Is it the same? Now that you've had it for a while, are there any negatives to it? Finally, do you think the installation would be a bit easier on my set up since I have a 4 speed?

Thanks,

John

george68hemirr

Reaction score
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2883&hilit=gear+vendors+overdrive[/quote]

George, just read through that set of posts. Wow, it really sounds like the installation was a bitch, but all worth it in the end. I'd likely get a new driveshaft as well and save the old one. I'd have to have someone install it for me. How did it effect your low end? Is it the same? Now that you've had it for a while, are there any negatives to it? Finally, do you think the installation would be a bit easier on my set up since I have a 4 speed?

Thanks,

John[/quote]
low end the same....nothing changed.....very happy/no negitives....should be the same on 4 speed....you remove your tail shaft and install there beef up one....really wasnt bad to install....YOU WILL HAVE BOTH WORLDS...DRAG/STREET

JJRJR

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:

Thanks,

John[/quote]
low end the same....nothing changed.....very happy/no negitives....should be the same on 4 speed....you remove your tail shaft and install there beef up one....really wasnt bad to install....YOU WILL HAVE BOTH WORLDS...DRAG/STREET[/quote]

George, gonna do it for sure. Sounds great. I hear it really gives the old A833 a beefier feel and lasts forever. Best, John.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Right on brother. Any/All opinions and comments are welcome. I'm in the "build" stage so wanna do what's best now.

Gracias

J

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
Not that I'm trying to throw a stick in the wheel but you may also want to look into Jamie Passon's five speed. I've be kind of drooling over it and when funds permit....... well you know.
Its a bolt in no cutting. I would check on the final ratio see if it will come close to the GV OD. Ain't cheap unless the 4spd needs a rebuild then consider the cost of that.

72duster

Reaction score
5 speed for Jamie Passon's is not happen at this time. last i checked plus gear vender half price .

rustyiron

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing one in my 69. I hope to get it on the road soon.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Was just reading through some older posts. Did you ever get the Gear Vendor OD installed on your 69 RR? Can you tell me about it? I am thinking about finally getting it done. Thanks, John.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Passon 5 spd trans is now being produced

In very limited #'s so far after 3-4 years now, going thru multiple R&D sessions & suppliers etc. & you need to be on the waiting list {was 350+ waiting last I saw}, they are as rare as hens teeth too, I've personally actually only seen one guy who has actually has received delivery & installed one so far, over on FBBO {person was on Moparts, saw the link on FBBO}... might be a few more out there now... It's great if your on the list & can actually get one... Gear Venders are available & work great, been around for a while now too... good luck whom ever need one of the Passon 855 OD $3100-$3400 each, depends on when you got on the list or price changes... There's also Richmond 5 speeds & Doug Nash 5+1 too, some used ones here & ther like on Racingjunk.com, with one of them you can run like a 3.23:1 gear & have the performance of the 4.30:1-4.56:1 type gears, with still a 1:1 final drive gear, because of a lower 1st & 2nd gear ratio in the 5 speed trans, much cheaper too, with little to no waiting, depends on what you want, how much work & what's the budget, there're a bunch of transmissions out there, like Jerico or Tremec too...

Passon 5 speed Hemi 18 spline 855 o-d bolt in trans $3100.jpg

Passon 5 speed o-d & linkage.jpg

Richmond 5 speed makes of Doug Nash too.jpg

Richmond Gear 5 speed 18 Spline Chrysler $2,399.97 #7031710A Summit Racing.jpg

Doug Nash 4+1 & parts.jpg

Doug Nash 5 speed w-Long Vertical Gate-Shifter.jpg

Jerico DR4 - 4 speed clutch type used for $2500.jpg

Jerico Racing 4 speed.jpg

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey George what size tire are you running on the rear of that bird. Would like to run 12 wide but look's like 10's is all I can get into the fender well. So what do you think Russ69Runner.

george68hemirr

Reaction score
i am running 31x16,50-15....mini tubbed and moved the ss spring in board 3 inches with a back space of 7.5 inches

Goon

Reaction score
I have Mickey Thompson Drag Radials on my 69 RR
295/65R15 on 8" wide rims with 4 1/2" back spacing
30.1" tall
11.8" wide

Back