• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

george68hemirr pics

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
George, what's your best quarter mile time?

2 years ago ...the first run the slicks had 15 lbs in them..ran into the rev limiter at 7200 in 1st and 2nd gear, she broke up...i wanted to shift at 7000...thats what i set the shift lite at...anyway i ran on the first run at 127.41/10.882. after that run i checked the tires and had 20lbs in the tires...dropped them down to 12lbs for the second run...boom!!....snapped the original pinion yoke and snapped the driveshaft yoke on a new balanced driveshaft.....i ran out first gear and when i snapped second gear i lost the driveshaft....beat the shit out of the floor....since theni bought a balanced up to 7500rpms a mark williams chrome moly driveshaft with 1350 joints...chrome moly pinion york and also same on yokes on shaft and you know the rest about the tranny and convertor except i blew out the sprag on the old dynamic 727......then after i found out i didnt have full throttle after my 4 pulls on the chassis dyno this runner should be in the high nines.....i will find out on the 27th of this month if we dont get rained out again

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Hoosier Bird said:
George, what's your best quarter mile time?

2 years ago ...the first run the slicks had 15 lbs in them..ran into the rev limiter at 7200 in 1st and 2nd gear, she broke up...i wanted to shift at 7000...thats what i set the shift lite at...anyway i ran on the first run at 127.41/10.882. after that run i checked the tires and had 20lbs in the tires...dropped them down to 12lbs for the second run...boom!!....snapped the original pinion yoke and snapped the driveshaft yoke on a new balanced driveshaft.....i ran out first gear and when i snapped second gear i lost the driveshaft....beat the shit out of the floor....since theni bought a balanced up to 7500rpms a mark williams chrome moly driveshaft with 1350 joints...chrome moly pinion york and also same on yokes on shaft and you know the rest about the tranny and convertor except i blew out the sprag on the old dynamic 727......then after i found out i didnt have full throttle after my 4 pulls on the chassis dyno this runner should be in the high nines.....i will find out on the 27th of this month if we dont get rained out again
Be careful with that monster........that is awesome......... :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
I WOULD SAY THATS PRETTY GOOD FOR A FULL DRESSED STREET CAR....I HAVE TO GET IT WEIGHED TO SEE WHAT IT REALLY IS....the other problem is if i got faster then a 9.99 we are talking more saftey stuff and more money....when i get it to the track i will give her all shes got to find out ...then for the rest of the day they will tell me i have to run slower.... :thumbsup:

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
i think the 68's are cool but the B&W bird kills them I think.

If I had a 68 I would want to upgrade to the 69 Birds but then it would be shunned so I dunno :huh:

I've only seen one car done that way and it was in a YO ad back in the day

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
i think the 68's are cool but the B&W bird kills them I think.

If I had a 68 I would want to upgrade to the 69 Birds but then it would be shunned so I dunno :huh:

I've only seen one car done that way and it was in a YO ad back in the day

that was the decider for me. the B&W birds just don't look as neat as the colored '69s. The '68 I got my shock crossmember from had '69 birds.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I also prefer the colored version also. While I don't know for sure why the '68s were in B&W, I think it adds to the idea of the car being the budget muscle car that it started out as. As we all know it was in '69 that more options were added so it could stand to reason that the bird would then gain its' color.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I also prefer the colored version also. While I don't know for sure why the '68s were in B&W, I think it adds to the idea of the car being the budget muscle car that it started out as. As we all know it was in '69 that more options were added so it could stand to reason that the bird would then gain its' color.

I've read before that it simply came down to the initial lead-time for getting them printed for the production run launch. Shorter lead-time for B&W. Then they just rode it out for the remainder of the model year.

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
Nope - Jack Smith told us the whole story back at the Mopar 'Nats in '05 when the Year of The Road Runner was being celebrated. We also signed up to get a video from Hotrod News Collector's Series entitled "The Road Runner Story" in which Jack Smith relates this story as well. I'll record this video into the computer and post it a little later.

The story goes that the 68 decals were black and white because a Chrysler exec in charge of styling the B-Bodies wouldn't allow the decals to be put on the cars at all. Finally Jack Smith (father of the road runner along with Gordon Cherry) prodded and pushed and got this bozo to relent - but only on the condition that he got to choose the decal design. In an effort to get the car into production an agreement was made allowing this yo-yo to pick the design. He picked the one that was put on the cars but still was adamant that they should not be put on the cars at the factory. Jack Smith went to some higher ups and and got an authorization to put the decals in the glove box so the owner or the dealers could put them on. Well, the Chrysler brass had a big meeting with the biggest dealers and one of them was from New Mexico (who's state bird is the road runner). While the brass was presenting the '68 model lineup in this meeting, Gordon Cherry snuck into the lot where all the cars were and pasted the decals on the road runner (this was still very early and production decals were not yet available). When the dealers and brass all came out to inspect the cars and look them over the dealer from New Mexico was thrilled to see the decals on the car! After the inspection was over Jack Smith went to his boss and said "can we put the decals on the car now?" The boss said "yes" and the rest is history.

BTW - anyone know the original name selected for the car by the advertising/marketing geniuses? Some of you know - others may not.

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
John, that's a very good (and interesting) story on their internal debate on whether or not to put the decals ON THE CAR...but not why they were B&W. A quick search on the internet (not the end-all, I understand...) yields the same story time and again: too short on time - they had to be B&W.

Can't recall the original name - unless you're referring to the Duster I concept vehicle... There's a story that some kid won a contest to name the car...but I don't think that this was ever substantiated... Let us know...

:jester:
Ray

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that's the story I read too. and the name...."The Lamuncha".....YUCK!

mcmopar

Reaction score
No - no Lamuncha - it was "La Mancha"
Great youth market name, yes? :loco: :gay: :puke:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
mcmopar said:
No - no Lamuncha - it was "La Mancha"
Great youth market name, yes? :loco: :gay: :puke:

Lamuncha...La Mancha...Whatever...they both totally suck... :yesnod:
I suppose the Dodge version would then have been "The Man From"... :lmao:

As soon as I read that post I recalled reading that name before too...but if this question had been a life or death matter I'd be getting fitted for a pine box right now... :lol:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
69LaMancha.net..... It just doesn't "sing"

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Big John said:
Lookin' at this again I just realized that that name wouldn't have worked for me either, LaMacuda? I DON'T think so! :loco: It sounds like a type of land, sea menu at a resturant! :jester:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Big John said:
Lookin' at this again I just realized that that name wouldn't have worked for me either, LaMacuda? I DON'T think so! :loco: It sounds like a type of land, sea menu at a resturant! :jester:

Steve, when that ends up next to your avatar you're gonna have to ask yourself "What was I thinking?"... :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Roadcuda said:
[quote="Big John":2lz8doh1]69LaMancha.net..... It just doesn't "sing"

Steve, when that ends up next to your avatar you're gonna have to ask yourself "What was I thinking?"... :lol:

:jester:[/quote:2lz8doh1]
Well, at least it wouldn't be mentioning a PP Cruiser......... :lmao:

Back