• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going back to work

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
SomeCarGuy said:
Cool! Finding work in the Depression is always good.

I may have a carb you need. I think it was a 69 4 speed carb. 4615 maybe? Would have to look at it next time I'm around my storage. It had an issue, maybe broken off idle screw or something???

Thanks bro. I can find the parts I need to fix it up. Let me know what you want for it ( but please be gentle :jester: ). :thumbsup:

George got something rolling on here that I think we should continue. Pay it forward style. You can have it for the shipping. I really can't see me using it.

You may want to wait and hear if it will do you any good. I'm almost positive that it has an idle screw broken off and it may be the one that has some other screws broken off.

If I run an AVS it will be a new one or a 440 model. The 750 just flat works sooooo much better on my combo. I have a 71 440 lopo version that I ran for about a year on the car. It worked well but had noticeably less power than the crappy 750 Eddy or the rebuilt 3310 I put on last year.

The one I have for you is a 69 4 speed car model number. I remember being oddly excited that I had a correct part for my car and was bummed that it was fragged. Then I dug around my shelf and pulled out the one that I used that was in near perfect shape. :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Hey john, do you need a cast intake? I have one you can have for shipping (which might be expensive).

mcmopar

Reaction score
Thanks Chris, but I have the intake. I'll ask a buddy if he wants it though.
The reason I want the 4615 S is because the Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags rules are specific as to the type of carb that can be run. It has to come from the correct model year and be used on that size engine. I contacted Dave Dudek from the F.A.S.T. series and posed a question asking about the new Thunder AVS carbs and received the reply that they are not allowed, however, I can use any 4 bbl carb that came on a 1969 383 4 bbl engine - 4 speed or automatic.
Now one must remember that according to Galen Govier the 383 a/c equipped cars were rated at 330 hp instead of the 335 hp of the non-a/c equipped cars. It makes little difference, though since NHRA rules (which PSMCD rules are based on) show the same carbs on the 335 hp and 330 hp engines.
The carbs allowed are all Carter AVS 4 bbl's with the following casting numbers:
4615 S - 4 speed
4615 SM - 4 speed
4616 - automatic
4682 - automatic
I appreciate the offer and will get back with you next week. If you can find out how much it will cost to ship it to zip code 32812 I'd be grateful in the extreme. I'm fairly confident that it can be fixed up.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
3BIRDS1X said:
If I can jump in here the 383/330 should be Holleys so maybe you can go that route too??????
I don't think they used any Holleys on a 383.....I may be wrong. :huh:

I thought that was '70...

mcmopar

Reaction score
1970 383 used the Holley. 1969 383 330 hp and 335 hp engines and High Perf. 440's (375 hp Chry-Ply-Dodge) used Carter AVS exclusively. 350 hp 440 (C-P-D) used a Holley.
See 1969 NHRA engine specs here:
http://www.nhra.net/tech_specs/engine/b ... HRY-69.rtf
Nice thing is the cam listed for NHRA shows a little more lift than the advertised cam: 0.455"/0.470" versus adv. 0.450"/0.455"

sam z

Reaction score
Congratulations on the job. Sounds like you have a lot of ambitions outside of old chryslers.
Good luck with them. I'm sure you are relieved.

mcmopar

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Hmm, why would that be? :huh:
You mean about the cam having a bit more lift? If the Pure Stock Muscle Care Drags rules allow for the NHRA cam specs rather than the advertised cam specs it could mean just a bit more power possibly. All they want you to abide by is the duration/lift/overlap specs but there are a lot of ways to maniputlate those specs to get a better performing camshaft through a custom grind cam. Back in the day there were cams the class racers used called "cheater" cams. They spec'd out at the prescribed specs but weren't factory cams. All one has to do these days is get with a cam grinder (Comp, Hughes, etc) and consult with them to get the cam that will best suite not only the specs, but power and driveability as well. An off the shelf Mopar Performance "Purple Shaft" road runner cam with 268/284 duration, 46 degrees overlap and 0.450" intake/.0458" exhaust lift would be a decent choice - especially since this new grind is much larger at .050" lift than the original 1969 factory cam was, but there may be more power to be had in a custom grind.

Back