• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Going back to work

mcmopar

Reaction score
Well, I finally scored a part-time job at a local meat/produce market. It will pay 9 bucks an hour and I'll be working 8 hours a day on Fridays, Saturdays and Mondays. At first I'll be a "floater" - just taking care of whatever needs to be done and learning the ropes of the different departments and tasks. If all goes well and the owner opens a new store as planned the goal is to use my experience to go to a full-time hourly manager's position. I'm stoked because this schedule allows me to continue to do my home-based business and possibly go to school online to get my Bachelor's in Christian Education and then go on and get my Master's in Divinity degree. It will also take a bit of the load off my wife who has been carrying us for the last 2 years.
Maybe I can now make a bit of extra cash and make some changes to the car I've been contemplating. I have a complete, running 383 in a '68 Dodge Polara and I'm considering building it to Pure Stock Drags specs. Stock carb, intake and exhaust manifolds, MP Purple Shaft "road runner" cam (or a custom ground Comp stick) and 2.5" exhaust system. The rules are here if anyone is interested: http://purestockdrags.com/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=53
I think I should be able to get low 14's/high 13's out of the car with some careful attention to detail. Now, if anyone has some spare parts laying around, like a Carter AVS 4615S or 4711S carb or a slightly used stock HP cam and lifters (or no lifters - I have a set) I'd be extremely interested in talking with you. I have just about everything else (except the 2.5" exhaust system) so making the switch will be fairly easy. I have not decided what to do with the engine I have in the car now but if and when the transformation takes place it will at least get pickled and go on a stand in the garage for the time being.
It looks like 2011 is going to be a better year then 2010 was. Man, I sure hope so...

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Cool! Finding work in the Depression is always good.

I may have a carb you need. I think it was a 69 4 speed carb. 4615 maybe? Would have to look at it next time I'm around my storage. It had an issue, maybe broken off idle screw or something???

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Excellent, congrats on the part-time gig, as a part-time meat cutter my advice is to get as much experience in the meat dept. as you can, Meat pay is very good and fairly easy to find work in it. it has helped me many times over the years getting laid off from other occupations I have always been able to bounce into full-time work when needed and pick up part-time when extra cash is needed. also making your own grind is a better perk than you would think that's all I'll say :puke:

mcmopar

Reaction score
SomeCarGuy said:
Cool! Finding work in the Depression is always good.

I may have a carb you need. I think it was a 69 4 speed carb. 4615 maybe? Would have to look at it next time I'm around my storage. It had an issue, maybe broken off idle screw or something???

Thanks bro. I can find the parts I need to fix it up. Let me know what you want for it ( but please be gentle :jester: ). :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
great news John! 2011 looks to be better up here too. the Wife's car will be paid off, as well as another loan.keeping my fingers crossed that something doesn't happen to take the freed up cash.

moparchris

Reaction score
Great news! I hope 2011 is a great year for you. I dont have any parts to offer but if I come across something I will let you know.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Thanks for all the support guys. I'm stoked about the job and really getting myself into the idea of rebuilding the car back to Pure Stock standards. I'll still keep most of the parts that will be coming off of it - just in case I want to go nuts again later. Who knows, I may rebuild it and get bored with it and want to go back to the big rumble - although with gas prices heading into the stratosphere I kinda doubt it.

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Congrats John, I know what you mean about 2010. Been good here since October. Praying that it just hangs in there. Hoping to get down that way and see you and Ray this year.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
Congrats John, I know what you mean about 2010. Been good here since October. Praying that it just hangs in there. Hoping to get down that way and see you and Ray this year.
Gary we had the pleasure of hanging with the Acmes and had dinner with the Mcmopars, you won't meet better people. I would have liked to chew the fat with John a little more, as it was only one evening out with them, but his wife is a great story teller. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey John, that is great news! Congratulations! I know that must be a load off of your mind...good luck with your continuing education as well... :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words, Bob. We feel the same about you guys too. :thumbsup:

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Good news to start off 2011!!!

I like what you want to go back to school for that's a BIG PLUS in my book!!

Good Luck with all. :banana:

Bill

Back