• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got my Engine Stamping - good or bad?

JJRJR

Reaction score
Hi,

My engine builder just called and after scraping off a few coats of paint, was able to read the following information under the distributor:

1st Line: E 383
2nd Line: 513
3rd Line: R

Based on my research, it appears that E is for 1969 so I guess I can assume this is the motor that came with the car, but will get the other numbers during the rebuild.

The 513 from what I understand is that it was build on May 1st and it was the 3rd one build that day. Sound right?

Here's where I'm puzzled. The 3rd line "R" stands for "Regular Fuel." Some of the other stampings here could have been "HP" for High Performance. I thought the Road Runners came with the HP engine?

What do you guys think?

Thanks, John.

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
The partial VIN should be stamped on the lower rail of the block right above the oil pan. That will tell you if it's numbers matching (whether or not you care or maters to you).

JJRJR

Reaction score
Don't really care, but it would be nice. I'm concerned that if it's stamped with an "R" for regular fuel, it's not the 330 or 330 HP engine. They had a 2BBL with lower compression and about 290 HP in 69 also. Not sure if it matters since I'm doing a complete rebuild anyway.
Thanks,

John

roadrunnerh

Reaction score
If you're buying new pistons - which you are - it wont matter at all. The 2bbl 383 was 290hp, with lower compression pistons 9.2:1 instead of 10:1 - according to my '68 info.

dobie

Reaction score
Yeah, that sounds right. The 383 in mine is an original 2bbl motor. With just my minor mods, it screams. I can only wonder what a true HP 383 would feel like!

A31PKG

Reaction score
I am fairly certain that the basic block is the same across the board. The things that make it an HP engine are the cam and pistons. Not sure if the crank is steel in the non-HP, but it is in the HP. The 906 heads are 383 HP and 440 HP units as well. As mentioned, check the numbers on the right side near the oil pan. It should be either a partial or whole VIN number.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
I am fairly certain that the basic block is the same across the board. The things that make it an HP engine are the cam and pistons. Not sure if the crank is steel in the non-HP, but it is in the HP. The 906 heads are 383 HP and 440 HP units as well. As mentioned, check the numbers on the right side near the oil pan. It should be either a partial or whole VIN number.
That's it the cast iron is the same along with 440s everything HP either slips in bolts in or bolts on.

A31PKG

Reaction score
everything HP either slips in bolts in or bolts on.[/quote]

You can slip your Hemi on over to my garage anytime! .....er..... something like that... :worship:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
everything HP either slips in bolts in or bolts on.

You can slip your Hemi on over to my garage anytime! .....er..... something like that... :worship:[/quote]
Ok :D

mcmopar

Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Correct. The other things that make an HP motor are the valve springs, windage tray, intake, carb and air cleaner assembly. The cranks were all forged whether 2 bbl or 4 bbl. Cast cranks came out in the 1970's.

A31PKG

Reaction score
sixgunrunner68 said:
69hemibeep said:
A31PKG said:
everything HP either slips in bolts in or bolts on.

You can slip your Hemi on over to my garage anytime! .....er..... something like that... :worship:
Ok :D
Is this some kind of :gay: code? :basketcase:[/quote]

Nope, just a poor attempt at humor... everyone else tries to "borrow" this car, thought I'd give it a shot... :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A31PKG said:
Nope, just a poor attempt at humor... everyone else tries to "borrow" this car, thought I'd give it a shot... :lol:

Not always... It has been put up for sale too... :basketcase:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
A31PKG said:

And you know your not on my Christmas list :basketcase:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I always miss the "Buy it now" feature. :brickwall:
You will have to check with the man in the plaid jacket down in Florida about that. You missed the ad? :lol: :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:
A31PKG said:

And you know your not on my Christmas list :basketcase:

One or two wisecracks over the course of three years and somehow I get blacklisted; I demand a recount... :stuckup:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back