• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grabber hood info....

Mel

Reaction score
Just got a new grabber hood for my 70', its missing a few parts, not sure what i need to get it working. Everything that goes on the hood is there and I have the hoses and clips. Not sure where to attach to get the vacuum and what i need under the dash...Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Their was a post here on someone using an electric actuator in steed of going vacuum. Do to having the problem's with the vacuum unit. Might check into that. If you get a classic industries book they have some of the part's for the grabber. :thumbsup2:

Mel

Reaction score
yeah thanks! it seems its easier to build an engine than to get one of these hoods hooked up right...LOL

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
P1275427.jpg P1275428.jpg P1275430.jpg Mel while searching old thread's in search box type in air grabber. Found this BirdoPrey 1970 this was posted in Jan 27 2017. Pic's of the electric actuator set up. It took me a while to locate it but it is their. He was tired of the problem with the vacuum system.

Last edited:

Mel

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics', IMG_4766.jpg what is this solenoid for and where does it go???

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thought your post was about the air grabber. Think what you are showing is the switch canaster. That guy did away with that set up and hooked the actuator where the plunger for the grabber to open and close. Thought you might like what he did. He was tired of working on the air device that opened the grabber. Russ. :thumbsup2:

Mel

Reaction score
Im trying to kept stock if i can and this solenoid shows up on the parts list but just not sure where it goes or what it does...Thanks

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Looking at some other sites shows this goes from the motor to the air solenoid valve. Some of the guy's have these and maybe they have pic's of how and where it is installed.

Mel

Reaction score
I’d like to find out exactly where it goes and what it does but since I’m new to this site it’s kind of hard navigating all these threads and trying to figure out which one to go to to get the correct information. Thanks a lot for your help

Mel

Reaction score
I would like to know exactly where it goes and what it does. I’m just still learning to navigate this site and trying to figure out which thread to go on to get the info I need it’s a little confusing at first. Thanks again for your help

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I have tried to look for that also in our old thread's. I forgot which grabber type do you have. Is it the pop up type or the fresh air through the call out badges area. The part you have the picture of could not see where it mounted. That would be the valve with the electric connection's on it. In the search box top right top I put in the Air grabber hood and searched through the thread's. You may end up calling one of the air grabber supply company's and they might know. I thought with all the guy's here someone would be able to help better than I. I did my best to find an answer and will look around some more for pic's. For location's of the part's. I even looked into the Part's manual that is in the information area with manuals. Saw the pop up gragger but no location's where shown their just like you part's list only.

Mel

Reaction score
thanks for all your help.....i'll figure it out one way or another LOL

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry Mel I know some one here knows the answer to the question's you need answered. Give them some time and maybe they will give you your answer. Like I said which style grabber do you have. Ask if someone has pic's of it installed where thing's go. I feel bad I could not be of more help. Also goggle supplier's of these and that might get the answer your looking for. Best I can do for now. Good luck. :thumbsup2:

Mel

Reaction score
i didnt know there was more than one style for a 70'. Ill take a pic and post it tomorrow

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
No their was the grabber that came up in the middle of the hood in the 70's. The box or switch you showed mount's on the fire wall form what I have seen. The two electrical lead's go to a switch in side the car. I don't know if that is the vacuum canister that it talks about in some of the post I have read. In a part's list I looked at it talked about the electrical solenoid and an air solenoid. The air should work the arm that raises the grabber. The electrical one send's the vacuum to the air one. This is the grabber that pop's up out of the hood. You should have a vacuum line tee at the back of the motor. To hook this too. You may have to put a vacuum tree their to add the hose. The line just looped from the passenger side of the hood to the electrical switch vacuum. Then from it to the motor vacuum. They did not show it all in the pic's I saw on line. Yes post some pic's to see if we are talking about the same grabber. Also call one of the supply people of these and they can give you maybe a diagram of how to install it. :thumbsup2:

Mel

Reaction score
this is mine.....it uses the canister which i have, I know where it goes. I bought all the hoses and clips. Ive looked at all those sites you did also. They just don't seem to be that clear, Thanks for the research you did.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Here is some stuff I found. Maybe it will help. 21967-b8c4e302119342c70d71cb1b6d30562c.jpg.png ebay711418.jpg 1970-plymouth-roadrunner-426-hemi-4-speed-air-grabber-hood-manual-5.jpg The rest goes in side under dash. I typed in installing air grabber on a 70 roadrunner. Hope this help's in looking for the answers .

Back