• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Great- new trans/clutch problem

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I backed out of the garage tonight to test drive after fixing a ton of stuff. I didn't do anything with the trans or clutch this time.

After doing a normal amount of jacking the car around to clear stuff, the clutch started feeling funny. It felt like it had almost all of the travel as freeplay.

I pushed the car back in the garage and the first look see makes me think the little adjuster nut on the linkage has burrowed itself into the bushing it rides on. That or the pressure plate has colapsed somehow. THe TOB had a lot of up and down slop in it when pushed up with a screwdriver. I haven't had one out in years but that seems to be a ot of slop, it moved about a 1/4 inch when pushed.

You can't see the nut anywhere on the adjusting rod. Best I recall you can see one as it is what pushes against the bushing that is on the fork.

Anybody ever see this happen before?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Please don't take this wrong but since you didnt mess with it I have to ask, where did you put the torque strap and is it loose or tight. It may have changed things if the bushings, motor mounts and other wear parts are old and its to tight.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
It is a Schemaker adjustable. It actually isn't on at the moment as I left it off so the paint could dry where I had to drill the holes in the K bar.

The clutch felt good the first few times it was pushed out of the garage. I'll get a bietter lok today since it isn't hot.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The nut should be against a large thick steel washer then a bushing. A check the z-bar bushings in each end of the tube. You can do a quick check by taking the linkage off the clutch fork and then grab the z- bar and see if there is any play up and down forward and backwards.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I got it apart and that was for sure the problem.

I found a washer hat looks like half of an acorn. Worked real good, might even be correct and was the very one left off.

Now on to figuring out the new hot start issue. :brickwall:

Back