• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green Bearings?

1BADBIRD

Reaction score
Anyone have much experiance with these? What are the Pro's vs Con's on this type of setup?
I was going to order a set but figured I would ask first.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Just say no to green bearings.

The problem with "green" bearings is they are made for drag racing and not for street use. The OE bearings are roller bearings and are tapered to take side loads... like the loads that you get in everyday driving. The green bearings are simple ball bearings. Ball bearings can only take a load in one direction and can not take a side load.

FWIW, Rick Ehrenberg, the tech editor of Mopar Action has stated the same thing about green bearings numerous times. I went looking for a reference and found this: http://www.moparaction.com/Tech/quest1/HOW_GREEN_ARE_MY_BEARINGS.html

mcmopar

Reaction score
I haven't had a problem with mine (knock on wood). I put them in back in '03 and have put approximately 10,000 - 12,000 miles on them without a problem. They got me up to the 'Nats and back in '05 - a round trip of about 2800 miles. I've changed out the pumpkin numerous times (probably 3-4 times) since the Green bearings have been in the rear end, too.
I have heard there is an alternative bearing to the Green bearings that uses the same kind of principle in that you don't need to set side load thrust clearance if you remove the axles (in order to swap pumpkins for instance). They are supposed to be good for street use but I just can't think of the name of them off the top of my head.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Green Bearings in two of my cars and have never had an issue; my Z-28 has a narrowed 8.75" with these and it has been together since 1993. Admittedly, with 4.86 gears I'm not driving it everyday, but even if they went out tomorrow I could not complain about the service they have yielded.

MC - I'd be interested to know about the alternative bearings you referred to if they come to mind.

Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
The story was in Mopar Muscle awhile back. I'll have to find the issue when I get a little time. Been way too busy lately.
EDIT:
Well, I must have been hallucinating (huffing too much compressed air while blowing out the computer I guess). I went on MM's website but did not find the tech article in their archives. I could have sworn I read something about this but I can't find any mention of it on the 'net either.
What I have seen is that for most street applications the Green bearings will work just fine. The only application for which they are not recommended is slalom racing, towing or any other use which generates a lot of heavy and/or prolonged side loads. I've read a lot of posts on a lot of forums and the consensus seems to be that a great majority of people running the Greens on the street are having no problems with them. This coincides with my experience with them so far. I've got at least 15,000 miles on mine and they have held up just fine. Sorry for my state of confusion :crazy:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We seem to have some sort of interuption in the space-time continuum...or that's the same article from an earlier post...
:D

MC, I think he's trying to tell us the phord bearings are the "alternative bearings"...

:jester:
Ray

mcmopar

Reaction score
Yeah - I did run across the mention of that article in my net perusings. Perhaps I saw that issue on a news stand back when it was out. :huh:

Back