• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Green wire going to the alternator not connected, no power

nicanor

Reaction score
I was looking at the engine trying to see why the butterfly on the carb didn't work when I noticed a thin green wire near the alternator was not connected. I took the car to a friend's shop but he is not familair with old cars. He said the wire going to the alternator was missing and that was the wire that was suppose to be connected to the alternator. We followed the wire along side the passenger side of the carb then behind the carb and then into a bundle wire connector that went through the engine compartment and under the dash on the driver's side.

He tested the wire for power and there was none. He said I need power in the green line to charge the car and that the car was running on battery power only. The battery reading was only 12 should be 14 or close and the green wire only had a reading of 4, don't know what scale. The gauge in the car now shows D (discharging) but before we connected the wire it was on the center.

He said I probably blew a fuse but we checked the fuse box in the glove compartment and all the fuses looked good and we couldn't find a fuse that indicated it was for the charging system. Is there a second fuse box or an inline fuse box?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Barry

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Re: Green wire going to the alternator not connected, no pow

http://www.69roadrunner.net/Tech Reference/charging.pdf

Section 8 of http://www.69roadrunner.net/Tech Reference/1969 Plymouth Service Manual.pdf

First, there should be two connections to the alternator. An 18 gauge dark green wire going from the field (flag or blade type terminal) to the regulator and a 10 gauge black wire going from the battery connection (threaded stud) to the bulkhead connector.

If the green wire goes into the bulkhead connector, it's probably the horn wire.

No, you won't see voltage from that wire without it hooked to the alternator. Follow the procedures in the manual and you can figure out what's wrong.

nicanor

Reaction score
Re: Green wire going to the alternator not connected, no pow

Thank you John.

I took the car to a local auto electrical shop and they said the MOPAR shop put a 1970 alternator in the car and it had too much power and fried the voltage regulator. Don't know how much of this was true but now the car charges like its suppose to.

Thanks again,
Barry

Back