• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Greetings! New old runner

thrashy

Reaction score
I have been lurking here for about a week waiting for my 69 roadrunner to get here. It has been in storage for the past 8 or 9 years.I have owned the car for 15 and drove it everyday for the first 6. I just got it out of storage today and I am running in to some snags as far as numbers go.
The First problem is the killer though. The Vin tag on the dash has been replaced by the state of Florida at some point.
The serial number matches the block and the fender tag but instead of the RM23 H9G ------etc it just has FLA ------.
The VIN from the fender tag matches the block too so at least it is the original motor. Has anyone ever heard of this sort of thing?

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x258/thrashole369/roadrunner/

DSCF0006-1.jpg

mcmopar

Reaction score
Never heard of the State of Florida replacing a VIN tag unless it is a salvage car. Was it like that when you bought it? Seems you'd have to remove the windshield to get in there to do that. :huh:

BTW - welcome to the cuckoo's nest! :cheers: :jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Welcome aboard......never heard of anything like that but if your not planning on selling it, fix it and drive it. Really seems weird they would change the dash tag. :huh:

thrashy

Reaction score
Thanks, I am not planning on selling anyways. That little detail and some of the other issues probably means it will be destined more for a updated car with updated brakes, fuel injection, maybe even an air ride system.

The car has other numbers problems as well, the paint code was listed as X9 and every place I have taken the paint down shows a Q5 turquoise color, that is in every area of the car. Plus the fender tag lists a 727 and it has an a A-833 in it. They did a really nice job on the changeover, it even has the reverse light on the dash like the factory 4 speeds did.
This just means that it will not be getting the concourse resto treatment. :lol:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
thrashy said:
Thanks, I am not planning on selling anyways. That little detail and some of the other issues probably means it will be destined more for a updated car with updated brakes, fuel injection, maybe even an air ride system.

The car has other numbers problems as well, the paint code was listed as X9 and every place I have taken the paint down shows a Q5 turquoise color, that is in every area of the car. Plus the fender tag lists a 727 and it has an a A-833 in it. They did a really nice job on the changeover, it even has the reverse light on the dash like the factory 4 speeds did.
This just means that it will not be getting the concourse resto treatment. :lol:
Build it like you want it. :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard!

I'd have to agree with mc - sounds like a salvage car... Whatever, still a RR...and one that was apparently saved at that...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
welcome to the site,don't be a stranger,and tell us about you and yours. That's a nice looking runner. And we won't hold it against you that it's Blue(long running site joke)

thrashy

Reaction score
I can't say for sure what color the old girl is. The paint under the Blue is turquoise all over the car, and I have no idea what X9 paint code means, it does not come up in any of the decoders. I'm not decided on what color to paint her when I get to that point.
this has got to be the freindliest forum on the net, guess when you already have the best you can jsut realax and enjoy.

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
Build it how you'd ordered it new if you could, and a word of advice if you are going to show it or custard stand it get a postcard or some sort of literature thingy or something and put it over your vin plate when you park otherwise you will be telling that VIN story twenty times a day and that will get old pretty fast.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thrashy said:
I can't say for sure what color the old girl is. The paint under the Blue is turquoise all over the car, and I have no idea what X9 paint code means, it does not come up in any of the decoders. I'm not decided on what color to paint her when I get to that point.
this has got to be the freindliest forum on the net, guess when you already have the best you can jsut realax and enjoy.

X9 is "Black Velvet"...just FYI.

I like 3birds1x's advice about the VIN tag - he's right about having to tell and retell the story - not to mention the charter members of the double digit IQ club that will want to give you a hard time about it...and they are out there...

:jester:
ACME

Back