• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had a bit of a scare while driving the bird

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
Went out for a spin with the RR on Sunday :cool:

I had recently overhauled the tranny with some fresh goodies and haven't had a chance to drive her due to weather, but it was decent out, so I figured I'd test out the tranny on a back road :frog:

On my first run, I started off in 2nd gear just to make sure everything was holding up and it went fine :)

Then on the second run, I rolled into 1st, spun 2nd, grabbed 3rd, then some a-hole driving a bus decided to turn right in front of me :eek:

I'm sure the driver's last name was Coyote :eek:

Now, my RR stops and handles like a box truck, so things got skwerly and I had to swerve around into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting him:drive:

After catching my breath, I did a few more runs on a wider street and on the last run, the stupid throttle cable snapped :upset:

Bogged 2nd and didn't have much power going into 3rd, but when i tried to slow down, it wouldn't drop below 3500rpms :eek:

The cable had frayed at the pedal and wouldn't come undone, so I pulled over, shut her down, yanked the cable off at the carb and idled her 5 miles back to the shop :brickwall:

Lets just say the folks driving behind me were not amused :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, enough yapping.....

You guys know I have video ;)

[video=youtube;rT5f2z7PTQc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT5f2z7PTQc[/video]

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
great video! sure wish it was like that around here instead of all the damn cold and snow. ]you still selling the car?

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
How many cameras have you got on that thing :thumbsup:

Not nearly enough lol

roadrunnersuctioncupmount.jpg

RoadRunnerJD

Reaction score
When I had full mechanical secondaries on my 3x2's, I had an extra return spring hooked from my center carb to the end carb. It made the gss pedal pretty stiff but kept the carbs from sucking wide open in case my throttle linkage came apart like it did sometimes when I was doing a burnout or sometimes, just blipping it. On a 4 bbl, the throttle return spring should be sufficient to keep that from happening but not on a sixpack with mechanical linkage!

98 SNAKE EATER

Reaction score
When I had full mechanical secondaries on my 3x2's, I had an extra return spring hooked from my center carb to the end carb. It made the gss pedal pretty stiff but kept the carbs from sucking wide open in case my throttle linkage came apart like it did sometimes when I was doing a burnout or sometimes, just blipping it. On a 4 bbl, the throttle return spring should be sufficient to keep that from happening but not on a sixpack with mechanical linkage!

Mine has 4 return springs on a CVR cable mount :cool:

Thing is, the PO installed the Lokar cable without using the provided clevis as a seat, so the cable itself was rubbing against the pedal bracket every time it moved :sour:

It eventually wore out and frayed, doubling onto itself within the cable sheath and making it super tight.

I had a hard time actually closing the throttle blades by hand because it was so seized up :eek:

New cable went in today and I made sure I used the provided clevis along with a rubber o-ring just to keep it from rattling.

Cool video! Where you located in Orlando?

South Orlando (about 3 miles East of Sea World)

cj69RR

Reaction score
South Orlando (about 3 miles East of Sea World)[/QUOTE]
That's cool. I'm us just outside of jacksonville

jays69bird

Reaction score
J.J. Abrams ride along with ya ? Wow that is alot of different camera angles.

mcmopar

Reaction score
Mine has 4 return springs on a CVR cable mount :cool:

Thing is, the PO installed the Lokar cable without using the provided clevis as a seat, so the cable itself was rubbing against the pedal bracket every time it moved :sour:

It eventually wore out and frayed, doubling onto itself within the cable sheath and making it super tight.

I had a hard time actually closing the throttle blades by hand because it was so seized up :eek:

New cable went in today and I made sure I used the provided clevis along with a rubber o-ring just to keep it from rattling.

South Orlando (about 3 miles East of Sea World)

Strange I've never seen you around. I am in the Conway area of South Orlando about 5-6 miles north of the airport up SR 436...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
That bus turning in front of you reminded me of the Russian dash cam videos I like to watch. I can't believe that the driver couldn't see that bright Green Machine coming straight at him, just like they do in so many of those videos. And if he's that blind he sure in hell shouldn't be driving a bus!!!

Steve

Reaction score
Sweet ride Snake Eater,that thing really gets down the road.Love the different camera angles,I was gonna ask how you set them up so thanks for posting the pic.

jays69bird

Reaction score
South Orlando (about 3 miles East of Sea World)[/QUOTE]

My uncle who I stay with when I visit Florida, lives about 7 blocks from Sea World off Orange blossom Trail,my daughter lives in Lake Mary.

Budnicks

I will apologize to everyone in advance
Reaction score
Went out for a spin with the RR on Sunday :cool:

I had recently overhauled the tranny with some fresh goodies and haven't had a chance to drive her due to weather, but it was decent out, so I figured I'd test out the tranny on a back road :frog:

On my first run, I started off in 2nd gear just to make sure everything was holding up and it went fine :)

Then on the second run, I rolled into 1st, spun 2nd, grabbed 3rd, then some a-hole driving a bus decided to turn right in front of me :eek:

I'm sure the driver's last name was Coyote :eek:

Now, my RR stops and handles like a box truck, so things got skwerly and I had to swerve around into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting him:drive:

After catching my breath, I did a few more runs on a wider street and on the last run, the stupid throttle cable snapped :upset:

Bogged 2nd and didn't have much power going into 3rd, but when i tried to slow down, it wouldn't drop below 3500rpms :eek:

The cable had frayed at the pedal and wouldn't come undone, so I pulled over, shut her down, yanked the cable off at the carb and idled her 5 miles back to the shop :brickwall:

Lets just say the folks driving behind me were not amused :rolleyes:

Anyhoo, enough yapping.....

You guys know I have video ;)
Great video, must have been a big pucker factor when that bus pulled/turned right in front of ya... car sounds great, good luck next time

Back