• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

had a Ford fly over work today

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I was outside getting propane for the forklift, when I heard the sweet sound of radial engines. Looking skyward, I saw the 1929 Ford Tri Motor that is touring the country heading my way. It has been at a local airport. It made two passes, and the second was directly overhead. awsome site.

P1060836-688x459.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not sure how many are still flying. This one os on loan to the EAA from the Kalamazoo Air Zoo in Michigan. I saw one flying near Cedar Point (big amusement park west of Cleveland.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
sure did! that's how I knew what was comming. It's not as deep throated as a B-17 or B-24. Had a B-24 fly over the house a few years ago at not more than three top. I heard it inside the house, and ran out on the deck. I could see the crew inside. I can't imagine what a skyful of bombers were like.

cj69RR

Reaction score
A sky full of bombers would be bad news for the bad guys. Bet they sound awesome though. I was a mechanic for the US Navy for about 26 years and have seen some pretty cool fighters and bombers at sea and the air shows with live bombs a couple times. Very cool. Love the planes and jets, and the older ones to where we have come to now with the newest jets.

dobie

Reaction score
Very cool! Those radials sure do have a sound all their own! Two years ago while in Gettysburg I heard that most distinctive sound and looked up. Sure enough, the Collings Foundation B-24 (The Tail of the Dragon) was overhead. This is the same plane my dad got some flight time in back when she was The All American. I've also rode in this very plane three times, as well as their B-17 The Nine-o-Nine once.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
The Collings B-24 is the one that buzzed the house. Definatly gonna pop for the ride in one of those.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
csuk9 said:
My father in-law was a tail gunner on a B-17, prior to being taken prisoner in Battan.

did he get thru the war OK?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
csuk9 said:
My father in-law was a tail gunner on a B-17, prior to being taken prisoner in Battan.

did he get thru the war OK?

I visited Bataan & Corregidor when I lived in the P.I. back in the '70's. Very sobering stuff...kind of like visiting the USS Arizona.

:flag:

Back