• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Had the old A12 out today...

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Had a long laundry list of things to do today - including cleaning and servicing the pool, testing the generator and treating its fuel (hurricane season - and I'm gone a lot - Mrs. ACME won't be happy if it doesn't fire at a time of need and I'm out having lunch with moparchris in L.A.... :D ) and running some errands just to name a few... So, after everything around here was done I dragged the old gold Duster out to run errands. Getting the Duster in and out of the garage means moving Bambi so at the end of the day I took her for a spin before I locked everything up. As I pedaled Bambi around it struck me as kind of funny as I noted the differences between the two cars. Bambi feels kind of like a battleship after driving the smaller, nimbler, better equipped A-Body. Bambi is manual EVERYTHING and the Duster is not. The differences are very stark when going from one directly to the other - not a mind-blowing revelation, but something that had previously escaped me to some degree...keeping in mind I'm not comparing either to a new vehicle but each to another vehicle of the same era. At the end of the day I like them both, but for very different reasons... No real point to this post, just sharing my thoughts after enjoying a ride in a couple of my favorite old cars...

:jester:

69rrvert

Reaction score
I need to find time to make a drive as well. It's been at least six months since I last drove the vert. Thanks, Steven

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Hopefully I'll be driving mine this week........ :banana: I guess that depends on how many more bfhtcl's I run into........ :lol:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I know what you mean Ray. I like the manual eveything of mine, especially when I get to drive it alot. I'll get in the truck or the Boss's Intrepid, and it' like being in a different world.

mcmopar

Reaction score
My 1st runner had no power accessories of any kind. When I first started driving it on a daily basis as a senior in high school I noticed that the tendons in the tops of my shoulders hurt like a mama! I could not figure out what was causing this pain until I got in the car one day after school to go home. I got in, cranked it up and gave the steering wheel a tug before I got the car rolling. BAM! I knew right then and there what had caused my shoulders to protest! After a short while my shoulder tendons toughened up but for awhile there it wasn't a lot of fun driving the old beast.
Who woulda thunk that driving a manual steering road runner could turn you into Charles Atlas?
PS - I love my power steering in this one thank you very much!

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
You big weanie........... :lmao: I love mine too........My 68 didn't have it and it is much more enjoyable driving the one I have now, just for that reason........ :thumbsup:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
Hoosier Bird said:
mcmopar said:
You big weanie........... :lmao: I love mine too........My 68 didn't have it and it is much more enjoyable driving the one I have now, just for that reason........ :thumbsup:

Yeah, well just wait until you get it back on the road with all of the work you've done on the engine...it'll be like getting a new car...! That thing had to be a real pig with the camshaft timing that far off...you're gonna be grinning from ear-to-ear shortly... :thumbsup:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Had a long laundry list of things to do today - including cleaning and servicing the pool, testing the generator and treating its fuel (hurricane season - and I'm gone a lot - Mrs. ACME won't be happy if it doesn't fire at a time of need and I'm out having lunch with moparchris in L.A.... :D ) and running some errands just to name a few... So, after everything around here was done I dragged the old gold Duster out to run errands. Getting the Duster in and out of the garage means moving Bambi so at the end of the day I took her for a spin before I locked everything up. As I pedaled Bambi around it struck me as kind of funny as I noted the differences between the two cars. Bambi feels kind of like a battleship after driving the smaller, nimbler, better equipped A-Body. Bambi is manual EVERYTHING and the Duster is not. The differences are very stark when going from one directly to the other - not a mind-blowing revelation, but something that had previously escaped me to some degree...keeping in mind I'm not comparing either to a new vehicle but each to another vehicle of the same era. At the end of the day I like them both, but for very different reasons... No real point to this post, just sharing my thoughts after enjoying a ride in a couple of my favorite old cars...
No real point to any of your posts :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :acme: Good morning Ray

moparmoose3

Reaction score
i liked the feeling i got driving my 69 runner in 69. no power steering and i had a great feel of the road. :cool:

3BIRDS1X

Staff member
Reaction score
My GTX is a 4-speed manual steering and glass packs and my conv is auto with power steering and stock mufflers, and going from one to the other is night and day even though they are the same body style it always amazes me how different yet similar they are. People (even car people) don't get on why I would own four of the same car (2 are big project cars)instead of a variety, but I do have a variety just of what I like.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I also like my Runner with the power steering. It's so easy to park in tight spaces with that car, and on occasion I'll use one finger and spin it around so easily. I wll say though that when I driven my friends '68 Runner with manual steering that car acts more like it has a power assist. It's not that hard to turn. My Barracuda's manual steering on the other had is not that easy to turn especially at slow speeds. I find I do have to put more effort into making turns with this car.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
this car steers very easy, alot easier than the fire car did. I can palm the wheel on turns that I never could the other one.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
Maybe I'm just getting lazy, but I also like my Runner with the power steering. It's so easy to park in tight spaces with that car, and on occasion I'll use one finger and spin it around so easily. I wll say though that when I driven my friends '68 Runner with manual steering that car acts more like it has a power assist. It's not that hard to turn. My Barracuda's manual steering on the other had is not that easy to turn especially at slow speeds. I find I do have to put more effort into making turns with this car.

you guys make me sick with this one finger steering :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dont even have to go to the gym...i just drive my non power steering roadrunner around the block and i get my work out :lol: :lol: :lol:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its been a full day without Ray. Last time he was gone we had to beat him down he was so refreshed and full of himself :popcorn:

ACME A12

Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Its been a full day without Ray. Last time he was gone we had to beat him down he was so refreshed and full of himself :popcorn:

I think that loosely translates to Bob missed me... :lmao:

Had a lot to do yesterday...flying back to L.A. today...might as well buy a condo out there...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

I think that loosely translates to Bob missed me... :lmao:

Had a lot to do yesterday...flying back to L.A. today...might as well buy a condo out there...

I missed you alright :devil:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
Roadcuda said:

you guys make me sick with this one finger steering :lol: :lol: :lol:

i dont even have to go to the gym...i just drive my non power steering roadrunner around the block and i get my work out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't worry George! I get my workout when I drive my Barracuda. That's why I enjoy that one finger stuff when I get in my larger B-Body! :banana:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
You know Bob, if you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never known! :acme:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Yuu know Bob, if you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never known! :acme:
Post whore :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
69hemibeep said:
Yuu know Bob, if you hadn't mentioned it, I would have never known! :acme:
Post whore :lmao:
Hey now, I learned from some of the best! :devil:

Back