• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harmonic Balancer Removal

Confederate1969

Reaction score
Apparently, the pistons are not the only things that are seized on my 383. I have been scratching my head over the harmonic balancer all afternoon. How exactly is the balancer supposed to come off in an ideal situation? After the pulley bolts are removed and the main 1-1/4 bolt is removed, is the balancer not simply "sitting" on the crankshaft? I believe the process is that one arranges it such that the crank cannot turn (not a problem in my case...) and then a tool that bolts onto the balancer is turned in order to remove it. Is this not the way this should work? If it is, then I am baffled as to why mine is still stuck. I am afraid of applying so much pressure in trying to remove it that I would damage the balancer. Does PB blaster have a role here or am I missing something? :brickwall:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
First thing is you need a good harmonic balancer puller... not a gear puller or anything like that.

It takes a pretty good "pull" to get it off. Get the puller on it, tighten it up tight and if it doesn't move, give it a good rap with a hammer right on the bolt head of the puller. Tighten and repeat. Once it starts, it'll pull right off.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
like Big said, you need the correct puler. even with it, the balancer can be a ...pain to get off. I had to pull mione off this spring, and I couldn't even get the crank bolt to break loose. I finally had to use a 6' cheater pipe, and have my daughter sit in the car with the brakes on. and then it took a few well choice words. never had one do that. once the crank bolt came loose, the balancer pulled off easily with the puller.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
They can be a pain in the you know what. I had a 55 chevy shortbed with a 350 auto, and after about 30,000 miles going home the a/c power steeing and alt all quit and my balancer passed me :lmao:I can laugh now

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
They can be a pain in the you know what. I had a 55 chevy shortbed with a 350 auto, and after about 30,000 miles going home the a/c power steeing and alt all quit and my balancer passed me :lmao:I can laugh now
I don't mean to steal the thread, but Hemibeep, does that picture mean you got the painted car home, of did I miss something?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Thats on its way to be blasted prior to body work. The car is setting untouched since Thanksgiving :popcorn:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
Big John said:
First thing is you need a good harmonic balancer puller... not a gear puller or anything like that.

It takes a pretty good "pull" to get it off. Get the puller on it, tighten it up tight and if it doesn't move, give it a good rap with a hammer right on the bolt head of the puller. Tighten and repeat. Once it starts, it'll pull right off.

That's how I have always done it......BFH is definately helpful.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I feel like I'm about to break all my tools. Even with the puller, it's not budging. :brickwall: Is it possible that the harmonic balancer has been heated too hot in all the possible pounding it took before it got to me and is squeezing the crankshaft?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I don't know about the balancer getting too hot. but remember these parts have been in place for 40 years. ones that you figure will fight you all the way, sometime fall off, and ones you think will be easy are a mother.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
Confederate1969 said:
I feel like I'm about to break all my tools. Even with the puller, it's not budging. :brickwall: Is it possible that the harmonic balancer has been heated too hot in all the possible pounding it took before it got to me and is squeezing the crankshaft?

I remember one that had to be heated with a torch to get it off.

Confederate1969

Reaction score
I finally got it to come off today. I let it sit with PB blaster all night long. Then when I got home from the mines today, I got a cheat pipe and starting beatin on the thing and finally the balancer started moving. It was a b***h the whole way off the crank shaft. It never loosened up even once it was moving. But at least now I can move on to the next problem. :devil:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
now.....wasn't that fun? :jester: my Uncle is into all kinds of stuff mechinacl. he has a 1947 Brockway (had a '69 300 till it burned in my garage), and he collects IH crawlers. He started out collectng hit-miss-engines. some of his stuff had been laying out in the woods and fields for over 60+ years, froze up. he's got all kinds of tales about freeing up parts.

Back