• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has Anyone Ever Had to Apply For Certificate Of Title?

Legbah

Reaction score
Ok, So I bought a parts car that had been sitting in someone's back yard for 30 years. Before I started spending money on it I wanted to get a title for it(I know I shouldn't have bought a car with no title but it was such a good deal I was trying not to look a gift horse in the mouth, if you know what I mean.) I went to my county's Tax Collector and gave them my VIN. They couldn't find it in the CPU meaning it was never titled in MS. I went to the Police station and got a search made on it. No hits for theft or anything else. So I went back to the Tax Collectors office and got all the required paperwork. A Bill Of Sale, that had to be notarized, an Affidavit Of Ownership, that had to be notarized. These two pieces of paper I had to take to my Insurance Company and get a Certificate of Title Bond($100.) then I took that title bond back to the Tax Collector and they filled out a form 78-002 Certificate of Title Application. Well the Affidavit OF Ownership needed form MVCT-59 which requires that the VIN is verified by the Investigative Bureau Of the Mississippi Highway Patrol. Well the Insurance company had never granted a certificate of Title Bond so they weren't too concerned with Form no. MVCT-59. Well the Dept. of Revenue for the State of Mississippi is concerned with it and a few other technicalities. So now for the last two days I have been trying to get in touch with my district office and the main office of the MHP. No Luck all i get is automated selections and voice mail and have gotten no calls back. I went back to my Tax Collector's office and they called the district office and left a message with the Dept of Salvage Investigation. I hope they call me back because if not the Certificate of Title Bond runs out in a month so that will be another $100, the Application for Certificate of Title runs out in a week so that's $10, not to mention the $36 I had to pay for a tag for a car that has no wheels, Engine or Trans?!?!? Apparently if you Apply for Certificate of title in MS then you have to buy a tag too?!?!

Anyway Just wondering if anyone has had this same problem. Also if I get a call back from any MHP Office I'll have to pick up my chassis on a trailer and drive it a minimum of an hour to get said form MVCT-59. Ugh, just makes me want to puke the hoops they make you jump through.
IMG_0466a.jpg

IMG_0466a.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
did you get it for parts? no need for a title then. But if you want to put it back together, than you will. good luck.

droptop

Reaction score
Really? The last time I used them it was a hundred bucks. But that was several years ago.

moparchris

Reaction score
Try it in California lol. I have done this many times. People run for the hills when the car has no title. I love it. I get a huge discount by do this work myself. I have the process down now. I use a DMV service that charges me $50 extra and handles all the paperwork. I went through and titled 3 cars at once and it cost me $900 total for all 3 and I had ZERO paperwork. The registration costs were the most expensive. To register a cheap car here in Californa is over $200 a year. So consider yourself lucky to spend $36 haha.

Legbah

Reaction score
the car had no paperwork, no title & no card. I finally got an appointment in Starkville for December the 3rd at 12:20pm to get the MVCT-59. Of course I've got to rent a trailer and carry it to Starkville but at least the end is in sight.

Legbah

Reaction score
Try it in California lol. I have done this many times. People run for the hills when the car has no title. I love it. I get a huge discount by do this work myself. I have the process down now. I use a DMV service that charges me $50 extra and handles all the paperwork. I went through and titled 3 cars at once and it cost me $900 total for all 3 and I had ZERO paperwork. The registration costs were the most expensive. To register a cheap car here in Californa is over $200 a year. So consider yourself lucky to spend $36 haha.
Haha :redx:

Back