• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone ever seen a 69 (or other) come from the factory with 4 AMBER marker (reflector) lights?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I know.
Maybe a stupid question.
Not red rear.
But amber there too.
All indications are this one slipped through St. Louis with a bunch of thrown together odd hardware, etc.
The variance from side to side are sometimes subtle.
Body panel differences you eyeball can pick up.
Back in 69 it might have been one of those "who cares" items on a low optioned lot car.
"We don't need no stinking DOT safety stuff".

1678803268472.png

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The reflector pockets have different part numbers from front to rear one has more angle than the other do to the curve of the quarter vs the fender, see if those are he same and also do the reflectors have push through tabs or just stick on which are after market. As far as the tail light bezels I have a couple of each, I figured on was factory and the other might be a dealer replacment?

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Here's some shots of the original fenders.
Either two different people sprayed the undercoating on each side or the guy got lazy.
I'm not reusing them and got AMD replacements.
Too rusty to fool with.
Those clip nuts are not designed to be removed. :)
(I've noticed the same thing applies to rear glass reveal molding clips. There is no provision for a tool to grab them unlike windshield clips.)

Screenshot_20230316-205153_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230316-205057_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230316-205052_Gallery.jpg

This is a shot of an original AMBER that was on the rear quarter against a new RED one
Correct color. No obvious repaint.
There is a different angle but once installed it apparently doesn't show.
That have been a DOT test reflective thing.
I've put "new" quarters on.
The rear is now lighter without the 500 pounds of body schutz in the quarters.
Things are never simple with the government and lawyers.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=pYktAAAAIBAJ&sjid=oZsFAAAAIBAJ&pg=4057,3960132
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/Amber/1963/Beware_Of_Amber.pdf
http://dastern.torque.net/techdocs/Amber/1963/Amber_Front_Position_Lights_Consumer-Bulletin_v-47.pdf

Screenshot_20230316-205302_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230316-205257_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230316-205310_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230316-205325_Gallery.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got a tool that you can put in and get the revile clips to let the rear window trim come off. Believe I got it from classic industries.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
There doesn't seem to be a magic tool.
I've ground this one to try an improve it.
No such luck.
Over the years I've even tried to make a better "tool" from putty knives.
Thinner is gooder.
They work for a while and then break.
I found the back glass is not made to be removed before on a first Gen Charger.
And I test fitted the molding on the RR BEFORE even having the glass in the car or painting it, I found the same thing.
No way to get at tool under the clip.
It was obvious because I could see it without the glass in the way.

.20230319_180754.jpg
20230319_180906.jpg

Excuse the pollen in these pictures.
I've put a box around the are occupied by the molding.
As noted by the arrows, once installed a rear clip has no relief to allow a tool to grab the clip from behind.
It is flush to the car unlike a front clip which has a bow to allow false hope of removing the molding easily.
It's a tease.
20230319_181003.jpg20230319_181050.jpg20230319_181154.jpg

Last edited:

nevada dan

Reaction score
Remembering my first roadrunner back in the late 70’s the red reflectors would dry rot and crumble and fall out long before the amber , I myself found amber ones off a junk car just to fill the empty hole

41dodge

Reaction score
Yes, I have seen Roadrunners with 4 amber side markers and a friend said they were from the L.A. plant night shift where the workers were under the influence of herb and didn't give a shit. At least that was the story I was told but who am I to believe such drivel. My 69 Roadrunner came out of the L.A. plant with yellow and red marker lights, at least they were that way when I purchased it, and NO RUST.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Well, I knew when I started this that water would be a problem but figured I would seal it some way other than "sealant".
In other words, I can make and gasket the chrome to housing.
But can't see anyway to keep water from between the lens and chrome since I don't want to "glue" the lens to the chrome.
I guess the idea was just to let water drain out the bottom of the housing??? That slit between the body and housing.
IScreenshot_20230401_141336.jpgScreenshot_20230401_141347.jpgScreenshot_20230401_141402.jpgScreenshot_20230401_141413.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Used black RVT to seal up my taillights. After they were installed. The gap between the bezel and lens. Noticed that is where they leaked.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I've coated the chrome and lens housings with LPS3

Yes.
Silicone (RTV) seems like a good choice.
It's usually not very "sticky" if you try and get it off.
But I'm thinking this.
First thing I've found in a search.
Clear between the lens and chrome??
I used polyurethane between the housings and quarters.
That stuff is my go to for a sure thing never come off type.
Mineral spirits clean up .

Amazon product ASIN B001QFZS6E

Last edited:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Got you on that urethane. Sealed mine with the gasket as done back in the factory. Then put body filler in the cracks and did away with that line and the filler panel gaps also. Seam sealed the filler panel first. If it could get water in I tried to seal it up. Good work also on your part. :thumbsup2:

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Gasket between the main housing and body???
Mine had just a little sealant maybe.
That is where I used white poly.
It really held it in place to get the body joint nice while it set.
I bought the correct gasket from Detroit Muscle for the other things.
I'm also thinking I'll go with the clear silicon sealant between the lens and chrome and chrome to housing like you did.
Really shouldn't have to ever take it apart anyway and keeping more water (and soap) out the better.
Screenshot_20230403_170022.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
She is looking good buddy. One step at a time. Keep up the work it wont be long and you will on the road. :thumbsup2:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gasket between the main housing and body???
Mine had just a little sealant maybe.
You'll see those gaskets included when you buy a complete body gasket set for painting. Not all of the plants used them. My car is a Lynch Road car and they did not. It was gobbered up with seam sealer from the factory so that is exactly how I put it back together. I have a pair of those gaskets just lying around somewhere if anyone needs them... :lol:

69B7RR

Reaction score
My RR is a 3-69 LA plant build. No gasket. Seam sealer only.

Back