• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Gasket Leak

MikeMeep

Reaction score
I have a oil leak at heads. Can I tighten bolts or should I replace gaskets if so what should i torque bolts at?

quikbird

Reaction score
mike, is it coming from the head, the valve cover? inquiring minds want to know!! how much leakage, both sides or just one side?

MikeMeep

Reaction score
Valve cover, Passager side small leak four or five drops after I drive it. I jacked up the car yesterday and could see that the oil has been running down the whole side of the block.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Valve cover, Passager side small leak four or five drops after I drive it. I jacked up the car yesterday and could see that the oil has been running down the whole side of the block.
Have you had the covers off recently. It may be that when you reinstalled them that the gasket moved out of alignment just enough to allow it to leak. That's happened to me more then once. Or it could be as simple as tightening the bolts. I've always done that just hand tight.

quikbird

Reaction score
another factor can be the valve cover itself. sheet metal ones tend to warp especially if you tighten them to much. also gasket material is a factor. the cork ones leak more than the rubber ones on my car. road cuda has it right, just finger tight and don't over tighten

MikeMeep

Reaction score
Gasket is cork, I haven't changed the cover or removed it yet. Sounds like I'm going to what is the best gasket or sealer to use?

quikbird

Reaction score
rubber ones are better, and clean head and cover, then I have used black rtv sealant for troublesome leaks. easy on the torque for the bolts and try to make them all even. check valve cover and just like oil pans, make sure around the bolt holes is flat and not pulled due to someone overtightening previously.

Ranger

Reaction score
My Mopar Performance covers leaked after I change the cam (passengers side only). I used the rubber gaskets and the only way I stopped it was to use a light coat of RTV on both sides of the gasket.

droptop

Reaction score
Cork gaskets with hp manifolds don't last. The heat just cooks them. Make sure you get gaskets for hp manifolds.

Ranger

Reaction score
Didn't realize they had so many types. I used the RUBBER-COATED FIBER gasket (with RTV)..

bigmanjbmopar

Reaction score
another trick learned, use lite RTV on the cover then place gasket in there, let it sit for 30 mins or more and then re install with finger tight bolts. works every time and I use the rubber coated gaskets, tried them all before.

Back