• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

head work

mac

What ?
Reaction score
this is the year i am planning on installing my six pack cam. while things are apart i was wondering, would doing a gasket match and cleaning up the runners on my stock 452 heads with stock valves make any appreciated difference? the cam is only about .470 lift, so is it worth taking the time to do any of that? what do you think?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
mac said:
this is the year i am planning on installing my six pack cam. while things are apart i was wondering, would doing a gasket match and cleaning up the runners on my stock 452 heads with stock valves make any appreciated difference? the cam is only about .470 lift, so is it worth taking the time to do any of that? what do you think?
A gasket match is a good idea, get all those hidden ponies :thumbsup:

moparchris

Reaction score
Hey Mac,

I have ported several sets of 906s and one set of 452s. I have a sponsor of sorts and he has a flow bench. I can tell you that gasket match will yeild about 0% increase in flow with out addressing other areas first. The biggest bang for the buck and probably the easiest is the bowl walls next to the valve seat. Do a good job there and trim the guide down and make it aero in shape. Then gasket match it and you will see big increases in low lift numbers. Dont make the port opening any bigger just continue its size down the runner. That way you will keep up the low speed velocity in the port for big increases, especially the low lift like .300 and .400 area. This will help boost low RPM torque as well as top end power. Doing some simple clean up I have seen easy increases in the 20-30 cfm. If you use the rule of thumb of 1 cfm=2 hp then your looking to pick up an easy 40-50 hp. Dont be afraid these heads love to be ground on and pretty much anything you do will pick up power and flow. Once you fell the power of a car with head work you will never go back! I think I have some pics around here somewhere that I can show you if your interested.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Hey Mac,

I have ported several sets of 906s and one set of 452s. I have a sponsor of sorts and he has a flow bench. I can tell you that gasket match will yeild about 0% increase in flow with out addressing other areas first. The biggest bang for the buck and probably the easiest is the bowl walls next to the valve seat. Do a good job there and trim the guide down and make it aero in shape. Then gasket match it and you will see big increases in low lift numbers. Dont make the port opening any bigger just continue its size down the runner. That way you will keep up the low speed velocity in the port for big increases, especially the low lift like .300 and .400 area. This will help boost low RPM torque as well as top end power. Doing some simple clean up I have seen easy increases in the 20-30 cfm. If you use the rule of thumb of 1 cfm=2 hp then your looking to pick up an easy 40-50 hp. Dont be afraid these heads love to be ground on and pretty much anything you do will pick up power and flow. Once you fell the power of a car with head work you will never go back! I think I have some pics around here somewhere that I can show you if your interested.

chris knows his stuff.....theres horsepower in doing that.....yes do it

mac

What ?
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Hey Mac,

I think I have some pics around here somewhere that I can show you if your interested.

i am very interested. i have an old cracked head that i could practice on but would love to see an example of what you are talking about. i have a set of porting templates, is that something i could use in this situation?

BBillyC

Reaction score
How about some pics of the procedure. Until I retire I might be able to get a few more pony's out of the BB

moparchris

Reaction score
I do take pics of everthing I do (gotta love digital cameras) I will have to search through 5000 pics. This may take a minute, so I will post some pics over the next few days when I get time.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
I do take pics of everthing I do (gotta love digital cameras) I will have to search through 5000 pics. This may take a minute, so I will post some pics over the next few days when I get time.
Everything :devil:

droptop

Reaction score
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about somethine else. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
mac said:
droptop said:
Damn, I thought this thread was going to be about somethine else. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

they won't let me post those pics here. :devil: :devil: :devil:

I THINK SOMEBODIES GOTTA GET HIS MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

george68hemirr

Reaction score
i ported and polished my old cast hemi heads....all i could think about was yeah baby....horsepower and it really does kick your butt

moparchris

Reaction score
Watchit Bob or the prices for camp spaces at the Costa Mesa KOA will go up!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. I use a Makita electric grinder and a inline Rheostat to slow it down to a manageable speed so that I can feel my hands afterward. Its also very quiet. I am still looking for pics. :brickwall: I think it might be before my latest mac puter so I will have to find my pic disc.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Watchit Bob or the prices for camp spaces at the Costa Mesa KOA will go up!

Now back to our regularly scheduled program. I use a Makita electric grinder and a inline Rheostat to slow it down to a manageable speed so that I can feel my hands afterward. Its also very quiet. I am still looking for pics. :brickwall: I think it might be before my latest mac puter so I will have to find my pic disc.
My Bad :cheers: :D

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just had Johnny McMopar's good buddy Jim work his magic on the 906s that are going on Bambi's new heart. All of this talk of porting and freeing up horsepower is making me excited and impatient...the heads are finished, but I'm not making a special trip over there just to pick them up. Have to wait until June 5 to get a peek at them. That's when we head over to Kissimmee for the big cruise... :toetap:

BTW - June 5 might be a good day for someone to grab in the ACME Mustard Pool...we do have some history of mustard incidents at the Old Town Cruise... :lol:

:jester:

Back