• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Headers or no headers / opinion

sam z

Reaction score
Ok, participate if you'd like. Thumbs up or thumbs
down on headers. I personally hate headers.
Mine will eventually swept off for OEM style exhaust.

Headers on a Chrysler:
1. Make it a pain to change plugs.
2. Good luck replacing a starter
3. Noisy
4. Any leaks sound awful
5. Can make it a pain to tune a carb properly
6. Tough to work on the car for a little while after driving
7. HP gain is not worth the effort

Sam Z says thumbs down on America's favorite bolt on part.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just depends on the car...and it's intended purpose...at some level every mod eventually gets to be a bit of a pain...but if you want to go fast you just have to bite the bullet... If stock or mostly stock is your bag, well then have at it with the cast iron manifolds.

Bambi has headers now...but won't after I rip her apart and do the resto. Again, back to the intended purpose of the vehicle...

I used to run a set of blow-apart Heddman Huslers on my red Duster back in the '80s. Tube diameter must have been on the order of 1 7/8" or 2" (I don't remember). Exhaust port adapter plates, springs to hold the slip tubes together, pan evacuation system plumbed into the collectors, undercar exit - no fenderwells - all jambed into an A-Body. Putting them in or taking them out was a day-long job. You'd never, ever cry again about headers in a B-Body if you tackled those even once... :lol:

:jester:

Hoosier Bird

Reaction score
1. Make it a pain to change plugs. I think plugs are easier to change with headers..... :cents:
2. Good luck replacing a starter. How often do you really have to do this..... :popcorn:
3. Noisy. Loud cars save lives... :lmao:
4. Any leaks sound awful. My stock manifolds leaked terrible...... :brickwall:
5. Can make it a pain to tune a carb properly. :huh:
6. Tough to work on the car for a little while after driving. Who cares...let it cool..... :toetap:
7. HP gain is not worth the effort. I love the cheap HP....... :banana:

In all honesty, I like headers, always have, always will. It's just personal choice. :thumbsup:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
you get what you pay for..if you buy TTI headers ,you will be happy with there product,,,pricey though..but if you want stock stay stock

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I agree with most of what Hoosier has there.

I will add that if the headers aren't coated, the frustration level goes up.

dobie

Reaction score
Right now I'm loving my new one's. After I have to replace something, my opinion will probably change.......

:D

mcmopar

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
you get what you pay for..if you buy TTI headers ,you will be happy with there product,,,pricey though..but if you want stock stay stock

Agreed. I love my TTI's. I had them hung in 15 minutes or less - and that is both sides! They don't leak because they have extra thick flanges everywhere and they make the car sound great! I also don't have coolant leaks because instead of using header bolts I just left the manifold mounting studs in place.
If you are planning any kind of performance upgrades in the valvetrain/head/induction system you'll only throttle the engine with factory manifolds (especially true for wedge engines). The HEMI manifolds are better - especially if you get them Extrude Honed - but to take full advantage of improvements as listed above you need headers. Mopar Muscle did a build and picked up 25 hp and a similar amount of torque with just a header change on a stock 383. This makes the engine more efficient and should improve both drivability and mileage on a mild build. Granted, they used Hooker Headers but TTi's should give a similar result with even less hassle.

PS - The remark about headers causing tuning issues is that usually you have to run about 2-3 sizes larger on your jetting due to the improved breathing efficiency of the engine caused by the headers - especially if you run them open at the strip.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
unless I had the $$ to buy TTIs, I wouldn't put headers on. This car has headers, and two weeks after I got it the starter died. Usually the headers didn't survive this process. Must be the 383 being lower than the 440, but take out one manifold stud and the starter fell out.

GTX MATT

Reaction score
Im a younger guy and I could never understand why someone would want manifolds on a car that wasnt a stock resto show car until about two years ago. I dont know if my 50 year old MoPar buddies are getting to me or not, but im starting to like cars more stock looking than modified. That being said, headers give you alot of bang for your buck on any older V8. The manifolds are just so restrictive, its an easy 20 horsepower boost on just a stock 383. When youre running a different cam youre getting even more of a boost. It depends on the cars intentions. My Satellite is just a 273 car getting a 440 dropped in, I have manifolds to use for now but next summer when it gets a cam swap headers will be in it. The car wont be original any way around it, so it makes no difference there, Id rather have the extra power.

Ive got to side with hoosier, they make it easier to change the plugs IMO. Changing the plugs on a car thats been sitting for 15 years with manifolds is just a pain and the manifolds are always flaking rust all over the place. For some reason I prefer the look of an HP manifold though, I dont know if its because im a MoPar guy or not but to me nothing looks better than a pair of HP manfiolds.

moparstuart

Reaction score
GTX MATT said:
Im a younger guy and I could never understand why someone would want manifolds on a car that wasnt a stock resto show car until about two years ago. I dont know if my 50 year old MoPar buddies are getting to me or not, but im starting to like cars more stock looking than modified. That being said, headers give you alot of bang for your buck on any older V8. The manifolds are just so restrictive, its an easy 20 horsepower boost on just a stock 383. When youre running a different cam youre getting even more of a boost. It depends on the cars intentions. My Satellite is just a 273 car getting a 440 dropped in, I have manifolds to use for now but next summer when it gets a cam swap headers will be in it. The car wont be original any way around it, so it makes no difference there, Id rather have the extra power.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: if you hang here the old guys will keep rubbing off on you here also :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
GTX MATT said:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: if you hang here the old guys will keep rubbing off on you here also :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
That's the idea, we have to keep you young guys interested in keeping our favorite kind of car, and their cousins, on the road. :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
[

you make it sound......so...dirty........

mcmopar

Reaction score
You've never tried the TTI's :party:
Besides, replacing the original cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds with an aluminum intake (MP Dual Plane looks just like the original and adds about 5 hp to boot) along with a set of good headers will take 50 lbs off the front of the car. :thumbsup:

sam z

Reaction score
Droptop I like that.

Mcmopar - you sound knowledgeable about the TTI's. What's the big advantage? Do you have them?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
FWIW, Here are some general rules of thumb regarding headers as proven on countless dynos:

The tube diameter determines the rpm of the torque peak. Larger diameter = higher rpm for the peak.

Tube length determines the torque shape on either side of the peak. Longer tubes favor the torque below the peak and shorter tubes above the peak.

The collector diameter and length has the same impact as tube diameter and length.

The impact of Tri-Y and step tube designs is greatly influenced by other parameters in the combination. They could help the mid range or not have any significant impact.

The TTIs are GREAT street headers, and arguably the best street header as far as their fit and delivered performance. If you're building a drag car there are better options. They are also a little pricey - but like everything in life you get what you pay for...

ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
FWIW, Here are some general rules of thumb regarding headers as proven on countless dynos:

The tube diameter determines the rpm of the torque peak. Larger diameter = higher rpm for the peak.

Tube length determines the torque shape on either side of the peak. Longer tubes favor the torque below the peak and shorter tubes above the peak.

The collector diameter and length has the same impact as tube diameter and length.

The impact of Tri-Y and step tube designs is greatly influenced by other parameters in the combination. They could help the mid range or not have any significant impact.

The TTIs are GREAT street headers, and arguably the best street header as far as their fit and delivered performance. If you're building a drag car there are better options. They are also a little pricey - but like everything in life you get what you pay for...

ACME
This commercial brought to you by the makers of TTI :lol:

Back